Can we still do LSDI?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Von_Paulus, Feb 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With all the oft-quoted overstretch, is the British Army still able to perform it's stated duty of 1 x LSDI (i.e. putting a whole division into the field)?

Or, will we have to lick our wounds for a bit after the retreat from Basrah?
  2. And how the fcuk would we get there? The Royal Flying Corps are struggling enough as it is to keep a fcuked fleet of decades old jets up and running to serve TELIC / HERRICK.

I'd guess the answer is no, we can't :( :(
  3. If this is the case, then should we not tell our political masters that we are not able to perform the task for which we are configured?

I wonder how long it would take to "get back to normal" once we've extracted ourselves from current ops?
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Define your idea of normal.

I wonder what back to "normal" will actually mean in the future? I doubt if it will be BAOR type force or one capable of conducting a true 3 block war as the current definition states it is. Simply because I don't think we will ever be able to finance it properly.

I suspect that "other operations", considering the intensity and likelihood of this type of op continuing, may become our default. It is a readiness and capability a little below true 3 block capability, IMO.
  5. I had heard a rumour that the "powers that be" in the Army had told our paymasters that we would not be able to do LSDI until 2016, after a considerable bit of "re-configuring" post Herrick & Telic.

This leads my small brain to think

"So why do we need the RAF to be practicing flying their air superiority fighters, when we won't have a battlefield to fly them over until 2016."

Surely we can close that branch down until 2-3 years before we need them (so they can get their skills back jup to scratch), thus saving a HUGE expense.
  6. I doubt whether we'll ever get back to being able mount LSDI given the state of the Equipment Programme, morale etc etc. You just has to look at 'FAS' to see the way we're going.
  7. Couldn't do it for GW1, same for GW2, why does anyone consider that this could be achieved with an understrength 2009 Army?
  8. in_the_cheapseats

Much as I hate to support the RAF, you simply couldn't do that.

If you lose a capability, it is v v difficult to get it back. How long would you need to retrain and regain competency? A couple of years maybe. What happens if there is a sudden requirement for them or do you just put the war off until you get the skill set back again? Where would your instructors come from?

Remember as well that the first job of the RAF is to protect UK airspace. For that you would require the air superiority ac you talk about.
  9. Man, did I ever misread the title of this thread...
  10. in_the_cheapseats

:D :D
  11. CDT!! :D :D