Can we please get rid of..........

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by PrinceAlbert, Sep 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...The regular soldier recruitment part of the site. It's full of ******* like this:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/regular-soldier-recruitment/188138-future-intake-next-vacancy.html

Who don't accept the response "speak to your ACIO, they'll be able to give you an accurate answer"

It serves no purpose, but to give the yoof of today a medium to ask cuntish questions.

Failing that, can you change the website settings so I may "block" parts of the website, in the same manner I can "ignore" mongs?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Admit it, you enjoyed that a bit.

3. Usually I do, to a point. But not today. He's a mong.

For those of you who thought that my initial response was a bit harsh, if you look at his started threads part of his profile you'll see that he's already asked similar bone questions already.

4. If future soliders are not encouraged to use this site where will the membership come from when we are pushing up the daisies? And, perhaps more importantly, where would this sort of thing end?

5. I didn't come to this forum asking recruitment questions.

6. Me neither.

7. I agree with you entirely.....the MoD RSS feed should go.

8. I tend to agree with about that, although it does have a humour value when someone stirs up the naval contingent on here.
    I also agree with your comment about Big Bomb or whoever he is it's just that I don't generally like to ban or remove things.
    He'd probably start a thread in current affairs - his logic whould deem that an appropriate place

9. However did people manage to join the Army before ARRSE?!

10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

They asked stupid questions somewhere. Probably at the recruiting office. And were punished by being persuaded to join as a cook instead of a para. Perhaps the section needs a naafi-like warning: "Some questions in here may be bone and make you froth at the mouth. Enter at your own risk."

• Like Like x 3
  11. Perhaps a warning saying "what would you do if the internet weren't invented?"

12. I still think access to only certain parts of the forum until a minimum amount of posts has been accumulated advisable.

It would assist/eliminate the issues PA has raised, it wouldn't risk losing new membership either & increase the sprogs (sorry potential recruits) to use the stickys, which is the purpose for newbies.

Possible & previously raised solution.

13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

That won't solve the real problem which is that PA is hungover and tired. Mummy's little soldier needs a hug.

14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Really really simple solution: don't read the recruitment forum.

Want to know why people ask here rather than the ACIO? Because ACIOs are daunting places - most people on here will have had at least some nervousness when stepping over the threshold, expecting a bag to be put over their head, beaten up a bit and downhill from there.

I would add to that people and particularly our young potential recruits are more and more used to using social media, and perhaps less and less used to the more formal approach needed to email, phone or write to the Army.

We also don't always look to recruit the brightest - there are plenty of places in the Army for those with a relatively poor standard of education and the standard of English that goes with that. A few years down the line after various courses we get confident, capable young troops and NCOs, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I actually get far more annoyed with those '****, go to your ACIO' posts than with the stupid questions themselves. And I'm bloody sure that many of those who post '****, go to your ACIO / use Google / write English / I'm not sure your're the kind of material....' would once upon a time have appreciated an informal friendly response to a stupid question or 10, and in the end turned out to be ***** that the Army wanted.

• Like Like x 5
  15. That's all very well but I suggest you send 'TheIron' a PM.