Can we please get rid of..........

P

PrinceAlbert

...The regular soldier recruitment part of the site. It's full of ******* like this:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/regular-soldier-recruitment/188138-future-intake-next-vacancy.html

Who don't accept the response "speak to your ACIO, they'll be able to give you an accurate answer"

It serves no purpose, but to give the yoof of today a medium to ask cuntish questions.

Failing that, can you change the website settings so I may "block" parts of the website, in the same manner I can "ignore" mongs?

P

PrinceAlbert

Admit it, you enjoyed that a bit.
Usually I do, to a point. But not today. He's a mong.

For those of you who thought that my initial response was a bit harsh, if you look at his started threads part of his profile you'll see that he's already asked similar bone questions already.

If future soliders are not encouraged to use this site where will the membership come from when we are pushing up the daisies? And, perhaps more importantly, where would this sort of thing end?

I agree with you entirely.....the MoD RSS feed should go.
I tend to agree with about that, although it does have a humour value when someone stirs up the naval contingent on here.
I also agree with your comment about Big Bomb or whoever he is it's just that I don't generally like to ban or remove things.
He'd probably start a thread in current affairs - his logic whould deem that an appropriate place

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
They asked stupid questions somewhere. Probably at the recruiting office. And were punished by being persuaded to join as a cook instead of a para. Perhaps the section needs a naafi-like warning: "Some questions in here may be bone and make you froth at the mouth. Enter at your own risk."

I still think access to only certain parts of the forum until a minimum amount of posts has been accumulated advisable.

It would assist/eliminate the issues PA has raised, it wouldn't risk losing new membership either & increase the sprogs (sorry potential recruits) to use the stickys, which is the purpose for newbies.

Possible & previously raised solution.

...The regular soldier recruitment part of the site. It's full of *******
Really really simple solution: don't read the recruitment forum.

Want to know why people ask here rather than the ACIO? Because ACIOs are daunting places - most people on here will have had at least some nervousness when stepping over the threshold, expecting a bag to be put over their head, beaten up a bit and downhill from there.

I would add to that people and particularly our young potential recruits are more and more used to using social media, and perhaps less and less used to the more formal approach needed to email, phone or write to the Army.

We also don't always look to recruit the brightest - there are plenty of places in the Army for those with a relatively poor standard of education and the standard of English that goes with that. A few years down the line after various courses we get confident, capable young troops and NCOs, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I actually get far more annoyed with those '****, go to your ACIO' posts than with the stupid questions themselves. And I'm bloody sure that many of those who post '****, go to your ACIO / use Google / write English / I'm not sure your're the kind of material....' would once upon a time have appreciated an informal friendly response to a stupid question or 10, and in the end turned out to be cnuts that the Army wanted.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Really really simple solution: don't read the recruitment forum.

Want to know why people ask here rather than the ACIO? Because ACIOs are daunting places - most people on here will have had at least some nervousness when stepping over the threshold, expecting a bag to be put over their head, beaten up a bit and downhill from there.

I would add to that people and particularly our young potential recruits are more and more used to using social media, and perhaps less and less used to the more formal approach needed to email, phone or write to the Army.

We also don't always look to recruit the brightest - there are plenty of places in the Army for those with a relatively poor standard of education and the standard of English that goes with that. A few years down the line after various courses we get confident, capable young troops and NCOs, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I actually get far more annoyed with those '****, go to your ACIO' posts than with the stupid questions themselves. And I'm bloody sure that many of those who post '****, go to your ACIO / use Google / write English / I'm not sure your're the kind of material....' would once upon a time have appreciated an informal friendly response to a stupid question or 10, and in the end turned out to be cnuts that the Army wanted.
That's all very well but I suggest you send 'TheIron' a PM.

I'm going to add to this - PA's posts in the recruiting forum and the sneering aggressive attitude of plenty of other replies in there have annoyed me.

Personal example. 17 year old Good CO asks a couple of innocent questions about joining the Army to a friend who had been MD'd from basic training. This friend was the only person I had ever met in the Army. He told me to go and see the ACIO.

ACIO....

Good CO is shoved in front of a crusty Major and told to go away and come back in a year.

I was completely out of my comfort zone - didn't know what an NCO or an Officer was, how to communicate with these strange brusque uniformed old people, nor did I know the difference between a tank and an AFV which I seem to remember was the key failing that led to the end of my short interview.

I didn't join the Army - I wasn't given the chance really - and I was nearly lost to the system. A few strange twists led me back 5 years later. I wasn't the greatest Officer ever, but I had my moments starting with Sandhurst JUO and shortly after that a PCBC Instructors pass and then a Cambrian Patrol Gold. I won't bore you with my military CV. My point is that in military terms I was not a complete ****. I asked some stupid questions and it was the shit system that nearly lost a capable Officer as a result.

Would I have liked an informal online community available to ask seemingly stupid questions? Yes I would and you never know, had there been one the Army may have actually gained rather than lost a recruit on that day in the recruiting office.

T

Taffd

Without a constant supply of newbies, the forum could well go the way of mfat - two posts every three months etc.

When possibly stupid questions are asked repeatedly, it's understandable that older members get a bit pissed off. But you're not forced to read or participate in those threads. And if every newbie simply reads the stickies, again it ceases to be a forum. Newbies want to interact. With people who supposedly know what they're talking about. To someone wishing to join, talking about irons is of great import.

With the caveat that the AFCO is the only official source of advice, newbie threads, bone or otherwise, can provide opportunity for some stunning repartee and give prospective soldiers a taste of what's to come.

And sometimes you cnuts can be extremely helpful.

If I was serious about enlisting in the army the last place I would go for advice is ARRSE. Some of the muppets on here, including my good self, will tell you any amount of bullshit just for pure comic value or to get some Mong to bite. Fact but fun.

at the risk of sucking up to the gaffers, he's got a point. youngsters reach for the virtual word for their answers these days, and Arrse comes up fairly near the top if you google "army".

how can PA have a hangover? I thought he was out of range of beer?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Even back in my crusty old days, the only stupid question was the one that wasn't asked.