Can we ever leave Iraq?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Outstanding, Jun 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the situation getting yet worse, what is the plan to bring it all to an end?
  2. The plan, as far as I can see (at least for us Brits) is to really beef up our contribution in Afghanistan, thus showing the world we are still contributing to the "GWOT" and get out of Iraq. Not so simple for the US....
  3. The US administration plans another 9/11 style attack, but the planes all crash into the White House while they are in session. Voila! World peace
  4. That is frightenly accurate!!
  5. A really simplistic answer is yes, we can. The state we'd be leaving the country in is another matter. Would it degenerate? Improve? Would it be a model for democracy in the middle-east (doubt it)?

With iraqi political power in the south, I reckon the UK could be out pretty sharpish, leaving them up to sorting themselves out down south, with most of the problems being in the North (I am NOT saying Basra is quiet).

Once out of Iraq we can concentrate on Iran, North Korea, China, Venezuala, Argentina (they're bound to have another go someday) and France - not in any particular order
  6. Coffee all over my keyboard - LOL..
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Like Aden in the 1960's then?

On the up (?) side - We came. We saw. We wasted six months of our lives, but at least we got the F***ers to vote.
  8. What do you mean by 'in session' ?? Are you confusing the White House and Congress ??

9. Blimey. Hes a happy chopper.
    who gives a balls :)
  10. Out of Iraq, into Ganistan Oh Goody Goody.
    Just what the Muck are we doing in the war to catch the 9/11 bombers.
    Oh sorry they Bombed London too.
    Wonder Why ?
  11. Crabby has hit the nail on the head, the UK can withdraw, but in what state do we leave Iraq to deteriorate in to?

I can't remember where I heard it, I think it was on CNN last weekend, but some one summarised it as 'the best troops in the world went in and took Iraq, on day 2 after the fall of Baghdad the Americans "sent in the B team" to run the country they had just taken over'.

Its a mess, to withdraw now will leave it just like Somalia 12 or more years ago now, to descend in to anarchy. Except Solmalia is / was much more under developed, less politically sensitive, and importantly for Bush and his cronies, had no oil reserves.

Its awful to hear the numbers rolling in, of course one death is one too many, but so many killed in bombs, kid nappings, even today the BBC website had a story about severed heads found in a box by the road <June 6th 2006> along with other awful killings;
    And the US and British Troops continue to be lost, its a mess and Bush and Blair should do something about it, they are the ones who put the UK and US in to both Iraq and Afghanistan, so they should get the blame.

Edited once to add the link which i hope works
  12. But it's such a happy place, why would we ever want to?

13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

"Can we ever leave Iraq?"

I don't know about the "we" bit, but personally in around a Month, God willing :D

But yes, we can and will. Just don't believe everything you read in the press - I know it's a statement I've been making for months, but it's true. Dull places in Iraq where people are just getting on with their lives and doing their best don't sell papers, but there's plenty of them about.
  14. Crabby has my vote. The only fly in the ointment is how the Iranian nuclear plan plays itself out. I think the US would have a difficult time extracting themselves from Iraq in the foreseeable future with a neighbouring state holding the possibility of nuclear weapons in the region.
  15. Of course we can't leave Iraq... God, anyone who'd served in NI, could have told you that before this all started.

And just think.... Sh*t! we're not out of Germany yet!