Can we claim?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by winnie, Jul 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently had a couple of weeks stay in hospital in Germany and my friend informed us that we could claim IE or something similiar. The information we've been given is vague but we've been told is around £25 a night to cover the costs of phone calls, travel and parking for visitors etc. I know serving memebers get it, but we've been informed that spouses can also claim whilst overseas. Can anyone shed any light as my hubbie had to take a load of leave to look after the children and spent a fortune of travel and parking whilst I was admitted. I'm looking for the name of the allowance and the JSP chapter it's in, becuase my hubbies admin unit is really unhelpful.
    Thanks in advance

2. £25 a night for IE?!

lol dream on sunshine

IE is £5 a day, to cover for things like newspapers etc when away from camp, on an external course etc

dont think you can claim it for being in hozzy, you might wanna look at your pax/towergate wilsons insurance for that, if you have it

3. The IE rate for Germany is £10, £5 is the UK rate.

4. i stand corrected

still dont think theres a cat in hells chance you could claim IE for a pads wife being in hoz

5. I believe that all you can claim for is the MMA for taking them to and bringing them back from hospital.

6. No IE can be claimed but only for a maximum of 30 days - but its only for the Service Person and not for the dependants. Rates are correct as per boney says. So if you are not serving the answer is no.

7. Winnie, it's probably best if after all the bile spewed forth at MP's claiming what was permissible within the rules not to come on here with your first post asking how to screw some money out of the system. If you really need to know the answer to this question there are more appropriate places to get it.

8. No IE for family and your travel expense rules are as follows:

b. Refund of Travelling Expenses in Units Overseas. SPVA PACC may authorise payment of travelling expenses incurred when serving overseas when:

(1) Members of the immediate family necessarily incur such expenditure in travelling for treatment to a hospital that serves the overseas station at which the immediate family reside, or which they have been directed to attend.

(2) Satisfied, on the advice of the appropriate medical authority, that a member of the immediate family of a Service person urgently needs medical or surgical treatment, which is not available locally, travelling expenses will be authorised for a return journey by land to the nearest overseas centre where treatment is available. This authority should not be regarded as an alternative to invaliding back to the UK when that would normally be the proper medical recommendation.

(3) Satisfied, on medical advice, that it is necessary for the child of a Service person to be visited by one of the parents while the child is receiving treatment in hospital, travelling expenses incurred in connection with the visit will be refunded.

Old n Fat, You'll find the advice given on here is far superior to that of many Admin Offices judging by the amount of questions on here that start exactly the same as this one "because my hubbies admin unit is really unhelpful" No need to tell people to look elsewhere, there are many of us on here that WANT to see people get every penny they're entitled to, I only pray you're not SPS, though it wouldn't surprise me if you were.

9. You usually hear that comment when the individual doesnt get what they want, regardless of whether or not they are entitled to it.

Back to thread, why though, should a 'wife/husband of' be given IEs? They arent in the Army! Theyll be wanting some sort of separation allowance for their hospital stay next!

10. Thanks for that... not. As you pointed out, this is my first post and didn't realise that I'd get such a huge, warm welcome. Please don't judge me by your standards and tar us with your dirty brush. Believe it or not, we're not all on the make. I think you should perhaphs review your screen name to Old, Fat and Bitter. As a British Tax payer I've got a suggestion to you, TERMINATE and save us all some money.

I have asked the question becuase I've got a huge nursery big for two pre-school children, as my husband couldn't visit with them. I've been seriously ill and had have major surgery, but am thankfully now on the mend. Posted overseas has meant we haven't had the support of our families and it's been a very stressful time.The additional finanical cost of child-care, 120miles a day and the parking has hit us hard.

Thanks JT for your reply, we'll look into it.

11. Is not a case of being unhappy with the advice given as it's not in our favour. The response from admin was we're not sure and we'll look into it. I thought it would be a good idea to ask for advice, hence asking on here for jsp refs extra to try and speed up the whole process. I wished I hadn't asked. FYI you can claim LSSA if the serving member is in hospital, but I'm not sure on the conditions.

It's great to see so many people supporting other members of the forces and their families by offering advice and guidence from their own experiences.

12. Yes for the serving soldier, not the dependant! the serving soldier also gets IEs!

therefore you, as the dependant, get neither and quite rightly too.

We are all for supporting each other, but why should the tax payer pay for someones wife/husband to buy newspapers, magazines and make some phone calls?

13. It was regards to the additonal costs related to the primary career of the children being in hospital, the travel expenses and parking etc. I don't want to claim for sitting on my backside reading Hello for two weeks. I was advised that it was payable overseas and was requesting any further information. Cheers for your input Fox, but there doesn't seem to be any more you can add.

14. "Thanks for that... not. As you pointed out, this is my first post and didn't realise that I'd get such a huge, warm welcome. Please don't judge me by your standards and tar us with your dirty brush. Believe it or not, we're not all on the make. I think you should perhaphs review your screen name to Old, Fat and Bitter. As a British Tax payer I've got a suggestion to you, TERMINATE and save us all some money."
    Winnie, temper, temper. As for being on the make, you are on the make, you have admitted it. You are attempting to obtain money from the taxpayer that you are not entitled to. No one else is entitled to the support you are looking for, what makes you a special case?

15. Yes there is:

oh pants on fire!! it wasnt about childcare though was it?

and as I told you in my first post in this thread:

So, mmmm lets see, you were given the information you asked for:

and of course:

You didnt get the answer 'yes have loads of paxpayer cash' from your hubbies unit so we got:

and we didnt give you the answer 'yes you are entitled to loads of free taxpayers money' so you wrote:

about us!

If youre children require someone to look after them while you are in hospital, then your husband takes leave, if he has no leave left (worrying as its only July!) then he writes to the CO requesting leave on compassionate grounds.