Can vehicle mechanics in the REME work on plant?


I want to be a vehicle mechanic and have decided to join the Army. The problem is while I am interested in working on smaller vehicles such as Land Rovers, cars etc. My main interest is in plant machinery with hydraulics like diggers, tractors etc. Is it possible to work on this stuff as a vehicle mechanic in the REME?

I understand that that there is another trade, in the Royal Engineers called 'fitter' which seems to consist of working on more of what I'm more interested in. I don't necessarily mind being training in the combat engineering side of things as that seems like it could be fun. But having read a few threads online about the differences between the two it seems (and correct me if I'm wrong) that as a fitter you can be posted to a regiment where you don't work on your trade at all but just spend all your time focusing on combat engineering and sitting around.

Please let me know what you think.


Latest Threads