Can the worlds industrys keep on pumping out hard goods?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ALVIN, Jan 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just one of my wacky thoughts (i get many every day)
    Factory's right across the world are pumping out masses of hard goods, that is everything you can NOT eat and drink right, so there has to come a time where the world market is flooded with goods I.E "everybodys got one" especially in the western world.
    So given that sort of scenario, what happens next?? ---- Global industrial melt down of some description?

2. Have you ever been to a car boot sale?

3. That's where in-built obselesence comes to play. Also wear and tear.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Also, with sufficient time spent in landfill sites, they turn into soft goods again, otherwise known as rust.

5. Yes 2004!

6. There are more elegant divisions of consumer items and at that level it is possible to see a range of maturities and threats that are always worth keeping an eye on. This however being Arrse, I'll be more provocative than scientific:

White goods - bit like death and taxes. However some of the 'esoterics' can struggle, particularly those that are slightly niche or faddy. Fcuk knows how Dyson has hung on in there based on my experience of their crap. This brings me neatly onto:

Innovation and refresh, i.e. convince customers you are vogue and constantly improving and they will continue to buy your stuff. If you are lucky you'll get a fan base like Apple - the iPod has evolved but nothing particularly radical has happened. Claim that you are innovative in the absence of being so (some French and Japanese car manufacturers might experience this backlash shortly?) and your customer base can react against you. That said, for computery stuff there's always...

Moore's Law which allows you to constantly outmode perfectly serviceable infrastructure by either: A. Convince gullible geeks that they have become technological inadequates by not having enough RAM, or B. For the rest of us publish software updates that slowly gum up systems (virus and encryption software in particular).

Keeping up with the Joneses is all pervasive; if you must have the biggest fridge, most channels or most pixels then the industry will continue to milk you. I'm smug in the sense that we are still a cathode ray family and happily make do on three channels, but the digital switchover is going to mean we have to buy another piece of kit...

Another surefire way to disappear is Be a Crap Company. They exist; great (or at least passable) products but commonly known for being badly or greedily run. These include some quite big corporates who screw up the service or logistics such that people still wonder how they trade. We track a few of these from a default risk perspective and the WWW is full of strong indicators that are enough to inform the diligent investor.

7. I don't see why not. :x

See this entertainment centre below as an example. (which incidentally, I have just wasted 30 minutes of my life photie shopping up) :oops: .

The Portable EP player was purchased just before the portable Transistor Radio and is above the not so portable Eight Track, which was purchased just prior to the portable cassette player, which was purchased before the mini record player - slash - cassette player, which was purchased prior to the portable Boom Box, and prior to the CD Player, which was purchased before the VHS player which was purchased just before the DVD - slash - CD Player that was purchased before the Blue Ray that couldn't play on any old TV so it was purchased at the same time as the 50" LCD Screen, which was purchased after the 27", 23" and 15" TV screens.....aaaaand breathe............The iPod was purchased after the iPod docking station which was purchased before the...................................

[​IMG]

8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Exactly. Innovation is what keeps the wheels turning. And all Govts try to do is stop it and take money from successful businesses and invest it in obsolescent ones. Or make crazy rules like those Michael Foot dreamed up to try and stop containerisation.

9. It is the Keeping up with the Jonses and human nature - to be bigger better - prettier to attract a mate :D

Top Gear had a good clip re the BMW 3?? , some other expensive motor and a FORD Mondeo. All agreed :? on the prog that the Ford was the best BUT that the stuck up "Im a rich, smart(not really) product orientated" would buy the BM.

Moors law has become a get out for the advertising masses.

I have seen it used for cars , Houses and even Solar and Hydrogen power.

10. It is the Keeping up with the Jonses and human nature - to be bigger better - prettier to attract a mate :D

Top Gear had a good clip re the BMW 3?? , some other expensive motor and a FORD Mondeo. All agreed :? on the prog that the Ford was the best BUT that the stuck up "Im a rich, smart(not really) product orientated" would buy the BM.

Moors law has become a get out for the advertising masses.

I have seen it used for cars , Houses and even Solar and Hydrogen power.

11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Software has a mad logic of its own - the faster and more capable the hardware, the more you have to complicate and add features to the software so as to soak up the hardware. That's to say you have to sell more and more software function to make people go out and buy new hardware. I can recall this from a quarter of a century ago as mainfames outgrew what was necessary to run conventional apps (payroll etc etc) - what on earth are we going to do with all this speed and disk space ???? and out of left field came the PC, and client/server, and graphical user inteface, and then the internet and the web and and and .. of its kingdom there shall be no end.

12. Exactly, todays "latest and greatest"electronics that everybody wants are next years dinosaur models that nobody wants.
    I guess you call it Natural progression.