can the miltary get done for speeding 35 in a 30???

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by REMELAD, Mar 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. any info on this would be well appreciated, flashed by a camera and now slightly worried. cheers.

2. Your fecked. Prepare for R.O.Ps and bull your boots.

SK

3. Suggest you lock yourself up now - it'll save time later.

Last time I looked, the green fleet didn't have special camera-unfriendly numberplates and the system is remarkably efficient at working out whose name was in the workticket!

[various edits to attempt to embed a picture.. deleted hopefully!]

4. The speed limits are there for everyone to supposedly abide by, why should a military driver be any exception unless the red mennace was landing on the beaches? :roll:

You were speeding, you got flashed, just hope there was no film in the camera or that your boss is an understanding fellow. You could always claim you don't know who the driver was at the time and they cannot prove it was you-except that you probably signed the vehicle.

5. NO GOOD NEWS THEN?

NIGHTMARE OF A CAMERA, IMAGINE A STRIP OF 100M ROAD THAT GOES FROM A 40 TO A 30 THEN TO LIGHTS AND THEN TO NATIONAL SPEED LIMIT!

CAMERA WAS JUST BEHIND THE THIRTY, DIDNT SEE IT COS OF SOME EEJIT IN A HGV, THOUGHT IT WAS A FORTY ALL THE WAY TO THE LIGHTS. GUTTED! PASSENGER DIDNT EVEN SEE IT!

6. Firstly, I do not condone excess speed in areas with a restricted limit. It is irresponsible. However, I believe also that the "Safety Camera" partnerships are less about saving lives than generating profit to ensure their continued survival. Therefore, the following is offered for you perusal, in the hope that an over-zealous business does not profit from us "easy targets".

The "so-called" safety camera" partnerships seem to set different guidelines, but the general rule of thumb allows you a 10% margin of error to account for inaccuracies in the vehicle speedometer (a little under-generous if in a Bedford!) plus 3mph before a fixed penalty ticket is issued. i.e. in a 30mph zone, it is unlikely they will prosecute unless caught doing 30mph + 10% (33mph) + 3mph = 36mph. If they do not give you this leeway, it is difficult for them to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" in court that you were exceeding the speed limit indicated in the vehicle.

Newer vehicles tend to be given less leeway, due to more accurate speedometers fitted to most cars, but if the vehicle in question is an old 3/4 tonner or Bedford MK, there should be no problem in contesting that the vehicle speedometer showed 30mph.

Having said all that, it is still bad drills to exceed the speed limit in built up areas (too easy to get caught out these days!) so expect the MTWO or Master Driver to have a word if a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) comes through.

Like I said, it is unacceptable for anyone to speed in a 30mph limit, but there are occassions where a moments lack of concentration allows the speed to creep up. I'm not taking the moral high ground, just merely of the opinion that if your going to get caught speeding (like I have been), choose somewhere more appropriate to do it (i.e. National Speed Limit areas - also known as GLF zones!!)

GR

7. There is only one organisation that is allowed to exceed the statutory speed limits, and thats the Royal Mail.

8. Really???
    8O

I've always thought it was only emergency vehicles - and then only when on a genuine emergency. Can't see whay Wells Fargo should get let off.

p.s. Anyone got an ex-Royal Mail van they want to sell?

9. FFS you are a REME bloke.

Destroy the blasted Gatso

10. There is however, a supplementary to the NIP, the local authority has a legal requirement to post said NIP, equally you must receive said NIP within 14 days of incident i.e. when you were flashed.

Think back to when you were flashed - how long ago was it - can you remember what date etc.

Good luck

11. Ummm....urban myth, I'm afraid.

Click here for an easily digestible summary of UK speed laws.

Royal Mail vehicles can use bus lanes as an essential service vehicle.

12. No, emergency vehicles (police, fire, ambulance) are all subject to speed limits, and exceed them at their peril. The Royal Mail are exempt for the simple reason, that they are the ROYAL mail. Drivers of emergency vehicles who are involved in RTAs face dismissal.

13. I know as well as anyone that ignorance of the law is no excuse but give the lad a fecking break you lot. There's a legion of grey people who's job it is to give him the bad news so there's no need for fellow arrsers to fix bayonets!

If you read his post it is clear that it wasn't intentional. Has noone else missed roadsigns because of slow moving HGVs? You don't need to be breaking the law to have this happen.

May the nemesis of the gatsos be with you REMELAD.

14. For 30MPH Limit, Cameras are set to flash between 33 & 35MPH
    Borderline cases are examined and white lines counted between the two photos.
    Each white lines = 5MPH.

1. Camera may have had no film in it,
        Outside a 'safety partnerships' this is a 50/50 chance!

2. You may scrape past the visual inspection as borderline.

3. Unlucky!

15. It's 10% plus 2mph according to ACPO guidelines. Therefore:
    30 = 35
    40 = 46
    50 = 57
    60 = 68
    70 = 79

How was the speedo on the L/R. Did you report it as a fault when closing down the works ticket as it was jumping between 30mph and 40?

Cheers