Can the British Army survive without the Scottish regiments?

Can England survive without the "Thin Red Line" (of Scotsmen)?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mid-fears-Queen-s-role-separate-Scotland.html

The_Thin_Red_Line_(Battle_of_Balaclava)
[/URL]

ACAB

LE
Or, more likely, can Scotland survive when the Scots Regiments of the British Army say, 'No I'm happy where I am'?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
We don't spend much time mourning the Connaught Rangers or the Royal Munster Regiment, right?

Black Sheep

Old-Salt
Would imagine there would be greater outcry if we lost the Gurkas ?

Yes. Can Scotland's Infantry Battalions survive when all of the Fijians choose to stay in the British Army?

Black Sheep

Old-Salt
Not prone to stereotypes.. but if the Fijians leave, I would not want to be in the mess on a Friday night. Who would get the rounds in?

Mick Harris

Old-Salt
In one platoon, 30 of the 32 men who returned from Afghanistan earlier this year said they would not join a Scottish defence force (SDF).

One soldier was undecided and another admitted he would join the SDF for an easier life, adding: ‘All we’d be doing is checking passports on the M6.’

Never mind the Jocks put me down for that and make that lad a CO

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
We don't spend much time mourning the Connaught Rangers or the Royal Munster Regiment, right?

My family, my mother's side as well (the crazy O'irish side), had a Regimental History of the 'Devil's Own' about the house for years, I avidly read it more than once. Was slightly disappointed when in my teenage years found out they had been disbanded nearly fifty years before. Never understood why she had it, her family came from Tyrone and she knew of no link with any of the Irish Regiments, or any link that would be admitted to during that troublesome time as my mother was of the first generation born after partition.

@Maalox sorry to inform you but the descendants of the 93Rd pictured above, were reduced to Company size in 2013 and now fulfil a Public Duties role in Edinburgh. As to who will join an SDF, a lot of my former comrades in arms now state that there is a definite lowering of morale, no operations on the radar, barrack life starting to kick in, problems with recruiting, etc etc etc... If there is any desire within the RRS to continue to serve, remains to be seen, it could be argued that a Yes vote would sound the death knell of the Scottish Infantry. No one would transfer, but there would be a very limited stream of recruits and after all the battalions were moved from Scotland that stream would quickly decrease to a very small trickle.

Mick Harris

Old-Salt
I have personally been working towards surviving without the British Army for a few years now and haven't missed a Scottish Regiment once...or a Welsh.....or even English...simples!!

Mick Harris

Old-Salt
Won't they (Scots Defence Force) have a combined force strength of 15000, suppose some might join that. its all smoke and mirrors until the big day...which is nearly here.

Mick Harris

Old-Salt
Would they have enough arm bodies to form a Leibstandarte Alex Salmond?

Good point but he doesnt need one he has Nicola Sturgeon and the Krankies are QRF...no one shall pass!!

They will be recalling all jocks serving in the British army because they'll need a huge defence force as they have oil up there. I'll give it week after the yes vote before Obarmy and Camerloon label Salmond a despot and invade

They will be recalling all jocks serving in the British army because they'll need a huge defence force as they have oil up there. I'll give it week after the yes vote before Obarmy and Camerloon label Salmond a despot and invade

The oil fields will simply be patrolled by the a combined fisheries and Scottish naval fleet & the reserves will be the trawlers.
Scottish regiments have been slowly fecked over for years, and 15,000 is rather optimistic considering their recruitment struggles already so OTC, boys brigades and CCF standby.
RAF will be replaced with Ryan Air Corporate & any other mug daft enough to have spare planes.

Whilst the overall reserves will be a mish mash of bucky drinking neds who can barely spell they're name.

Mr Salmon you cock of the highest order...

The oil fields will simply be patrolled by the a combined fisheries and Scottish naval fleet & the reserves will be the trawlers.
Scottish regiments have been slowly fecked over for years, and 15,000 is rather optimistic considering their recruitment struggles already so OTC, boys brigades and CCF standby.
RAF will be replaced with Ryan Air Corporate & any other mug daft enough to have spare planes.

Whilst the overall reserves will be a mish mash of bucky drinking neds who can barely spell they're name.

Mr Salmon you cock of the highest order...

that's Brigadier General rear admiral commander in chief high lord king of scotland Cock to you

Never mind all that guff, unimportant in the real scheme of things, what about the price of whisky? Will it come down? Or will I have to go back to drinking rum?

Latest Threads