Can the Army force you to take ILA?

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Just curious to see if my Regiment can force me to take personal leave?
Why wouldn't you. Its not like you get paid for days you don't take.
COs get shit if not every soldier takes there leave....

In my day it was a privilege not a right blaar

It depends.

Which is not very helpful, but I've learned the Army does enjoy fûcking its people over for the randomest reasons.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Im interested why you dont want to take your leave entitlement...?

I mean even if you have no civilian friends and nowhere else to go, you could just sit around the barracks all day and socialize with your military mates in the evenings..?

(Totally serious point not being facetious/sarcastic)

dontenn

War Hero
you are in the Army they own your arrse once you accept the queens shilling.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Take as much leave as they will give you. Changed days. I lost most of my re-engagement leave by them putting as many barriers as possible in front of it.

NemoIII

War Hero
Take as much leave as they will give you. Changed days. I lost most of my re-engagement leave by them putting as many barriers as possible in front of it.
Can see where they are coming from, imagine being forced to take 3 weeks holiday at the present point in time.

Seeing as how civvy employers can say when you must take leave (with enough notice) is the Army, with its exemption form most (all?) employment law likely to be more or less obliging?

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
Just curious to see if my Regiment can force me to take personal leave?
Think yourself lucky you get paid leave, what about those who are now unemployed through CV19.
You have a job, take the leave and man up.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
I can see the OP's point. By being made to take leave now whilst you can't go anywhere may mean that later on when you can you might not have enough to be able to (unlikely I know but you can never tell how these things could pan out)....

I can see the OP's point. By being made to take leave now whilst you can't go anywhere may mean that later on when you can you might not have enough to be able to (unlikely I know but you can never tell how these things could pan out)....
Most units that I have been in contact with have been instructing personnel to take leave over normal/traditional stand down periods such as Easter and bank holidays.

The various rational being, you need to report in daily (and some units are setting ‘bone’ assignments). But not when you are on leave. But I think the overriding concern is, a whole unit could return to work after sitting around for half a year with all their leave intact, thus impacting on a return to operational effectiveness.

Take your pick, but yes, you can be forced to take leave. If it’s any consolation it’s happening in the NHS as well :)

NemoIII

War Hero
But I think the overriding concern is, a whole unit could return to work after sitting around for half a year with all their leave intact, thus impacting on a return to operational effectiveness.
Think there is a DIN out saying leave is being carried over 2 years at the moment, similar to civvy street?

I know my CO is worrying with the carry over of leave at the moment.

Think there is a DIN out saying leave is being carried over 2 years at the moment, similar to civvy street?

I know my CO is worrying with the carry over of leave at the moment.
Not seen it yet, but to be honest, I haven’t read any new DINs for a couple of months. Still going to be one hell of a back up if there is no enforced leave.

As usual, damned if you do...

Can see where they are coming from, imagine being forced to take 3 weeks holiday at the present point in time.
My civvy employer has made us all take a week. There’s not a huge amount of work on, and it’s better for them than paying us to do nothing.

Latest Threads