Can someone help me understand?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by A13x, Feb 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 1. Is there a sit up and press up test at the selection for the army?

2. If there is a test, does anyone know how many you have to do and in what time?

3. Does someone hold your feet during the sit ups? (i can do around 60 when someone holds my feet but only 30 when im on my own)

4. What does phase 1 and phase 2 mean?

5. Is there a cetain amount of press ups etc and run a 1.5 mile time to be done after basic training?
  2. have you tried looking for all the current information you req in google?
  3. There isn't a press-up or sit-up test.

Phase one is Recruit training. Phase two is trade training of your chosen job.
  4. also its not taken as a test it is more to asses your physical fitness levels etc so they know what they have to work with
  5. Get yourself doing Jenda situps. What's the saying? "The more you sweat in the gym, the less you bleed in battle".
  6. I'm in an uncharacteristically helpful mood.

The Carry

This test confirms the strength of the muscles in the upper arm and shoulder girdle. You will be required to carry two jerry cans(large water containers) each weighing 20KG (44lb) over a set course at a constant speed of 5.4 kph.

The test result is measured as the distance in metres achieved while keeping up with the set pace.

The set course is a distance of 150 metres which is expected to be completed in a maximum of 2 minutes.

**You will be dressed in civilian sports clothing, not uniform as depicted in the image above**

The Static Lift

With the feet shoulder width apart, bent legs and the back kept straight, you will be required to pull against a device called a Dynamometer which is attached to the floor. This measures the maximum amount of force you can exert in a single lift.

The result of this test is measured in kilogrammes.

The Dynamic Lift

This test measures how much weight can be lifted from the floor to a height of 1.45 m (the height of a 4 tonne truck) Using an Incremental Lift Machine, at a start weight of 5-10 kg, you will need to lift the weight safely to a height of 1.45 m.

The weight will then be increased progressively after each successful lift. Lifts are made with the legs bent and the back straight.

The result of this test is measured in kilogrammes.

The Back Extension

The large muscles in the back are used during the lifting and carrying of objects and when marching with loads. The strength of these muscles is measured using a special Back Extension Rig.

You will be strapped into the rig and asked to extend your back as much as possible against a resistance. The force generated by the back muscles is measured in kilogrammes on a digital readout.

The Run

Level 1
    Run time 12.45

Level 2
    Run time 13.15
    Royal Artillery
    Royal Armoured Corps
    Royal Engineers
    Household Cavalry

Level 3
    Run time 14.00
    All other Arms and Corps

Parachute Regiment
    Run time 9.18 upto 9.40

Junior Entry
    Army Development Course
    Run time 14.00

Junior Entry
    Army Foundation College
    Run time 14.30

The Heaves

Hanging under-grasp from a beam with the arms fully extended, heave the body up towards the beam until the chin is clear of the top. Once this is reached, lower to the start position under control ensuring that the arms are fully extended.

This is repeated as many times as possible but is a 'best effort' test.

This particular test does not have a pass or fail score but does help towards your overall fitness assessment while at the Recruit Selection Centre.
  7. Thanks for that.