Can soldiers not eligible for promotion be recommended?

Obviously the question is in the title, the RCMO are on leave so I can't ask them.
My AO has told me that they cant because its a waste of a slot, however I was under the impression you can recommend as many people as you like, if they are ineligible they wont be looked at so it wont disadvantage anyone who is eligible.
The reason I'd like to know is that I can't get people into acting rank the next year even if they are capable but don't have a recommendation.

Yes, under the JSP of course you can.

Under Army/RLC "rules" I have no idea.

In addition to "of course you can", it could be the case that a second promotion board will sit in a given year, and that your person has by that time become eligible: A developing in January becoming a recommended in May just because a particular hoop has been jumped through makes your candidate appear weak and you appear foolish.

Obviously the question is in the title, the RCMO are on leave so I can't ask them.
My AO has told me that they cant because its a waste of a slot, however I was under the impression you can recommend as many people as you like, if they are ineligible they wont be looked at so it wont disadvantage anyone who is eligible.
The reason I'd like to know is that I can't get people into acting rank the next year even if they are capable but don't have a recommendation.
I'm a bit out of date, but can recall granting acting rank (or it may have been local) to a number of soldiers ineligible for promotion (usually awaiting CLM) but recommended, to fill vacant posts in the unit. It certainly does their profile no harm on future boards if they are written up as performing well in the next rank and they should be a shoe in at the next board if they have become eligible.
One thing you need to be careful of is ensuring you are not awarding them all 'best soldier' in the troop status in the write up - it becomes repetitious and tedious to the board members and results in the reporting officer/WO's credibility being shot.

I'm a bit out of date, but can recall granting acting rank (or it may have been local) to a number of soldiers ineligible for promotion (usually awaiting CLM) to fill vacant posts in the unit. It certainly does their profile no harm on future boards if they are written up as performing well in the next rank and they should be a shoe in at the next board if they have become eligible.
One thing you need to be careful of is ensuring you are not awarding them all 'best soldier' in the troop status in the write up - it becomes repetitious and tedious to the board members and results in the reporting officer/WO's credibility being shot.
The problem I'm having is that I cant give them acting rank if they are not recommended and Ive been told to not recommend those who cant promote. A bit of a pain in the arse as well a kick in the plums for their career.

The best soldier is simply based on who can bribe me the most during the reporting year.

The problem I'm having is that I cant give them acting rank if they are not recommended and Ive been told to not recommend those who cant promote. A bit of a pain in the arse as well a kick in the plums for their career.

The best soldier is simply based on who can bribe me the most during the reporting year.
Then you are getting poor advice. They can be recommended, with the caveat, subject to gaining appropriate qualifications. It makes no difference at APC, as they will be filtered out prior to the Promotion board.
As for the bribes, it's the Army equivalent of an apple for teacher! :smile:

Then you are getting poor advice. They can be recommended, with the caveat, subject to gaining appropriate qualifications.
Its time served that is holding them back not qualifications.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
With your RCMO unavailable, can you not phone Glasgow for advice?

With your RCMO unavailable, can you not phone Glasgow for advice?
Yes if I wanted my next posting to be Benbecula.
I'm army not RAF, we are not trusted to speak to them.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sorry, i forgot about the paranoia that surrounds the army CoC.

Sorry forgot to say, Benbecula is very nice - at least one day a year.

MARTOK

Old-Salt
Sorry, i forgot about the paranoia that surrounds the army CoC.

Sorry forgot to say, Benbecula is very nice - at least one day a year.
I did three years at range head early eighties thoroughly enjoyed it, my wife didn’t.

Back to the question, going way back time served promotion was the norm for REME technicians provided they had passed the necessary education and military courses AND had been recommended. It wasn’t unusual for Lcpls to be promoted to Cpl and Cpls promoted to Sergeant as soon as they passed their EPC / SMC (probably called something different now) or as soon as they hit the recommended time served point provided they had been recommended. These recommendations would have had to have been given before the soldier was qualified or had reached the time served point.

I also knew many artisan SSgts who were recommended for promotion to WO2 even though SSgt was the ceiling in their trade, what would have happened if all of a sudden it was decided that artisan SSgts did have a route to WO2 (as I believe did happen) and there was no one qualified or recommended?

Last edited:
Any idea where to look in the JSP?
I'm on leave.

If you look at the SJAR/OJAR JSP, the definition of recommends for promotion will detail what the requirements are.

As a 2RO and 1RO, my process is simple - can the individual do the job of the next higher rank. If yes, recommend; if they are developing, give dev; if not whilst their arse points down, give no.

But then I'm not in the Army, and I don't have pre-laid out report formats with specific things in specific paragraphs, and I don't get to promote ABs to LH.

chimera

LE
As an earlier poster has stated: if the individual is ineligble they will be screened out in the initial sift for any Promotion Board.

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
Ain't that the truth. We had records attend my unit when I was a fullscrew. So many slots avail to chat to them. My slot was at 1630. Pecking order dictated that the WO's were first and so on. Being the jnr screw I was last in the day but still happy to have my 5 mins with records. Well everyone over ran and I finaly managed a bit of facetime with records at gone 1730. Only to be told that he didn't have my file with him so couldn't talk about anything with any certainty.
So I trudged away with no answers, but in reality there was a function in the mess that night and he didn't want to be late. So it just proved that records have no real interest in the soldiers on the ground and were going through the motions.

Although, it may differ between Corp/Arms & Trades,

Example - A RLC Supplier can be selected for promotion and has 1 year to get eligible ie. English/Maths Level 2 for posting to Sgt (still has to do SCLM) however RLC Drivers cannot.

But regs change all the time

Although X is currently not eligible, he is still recommended for promotion.
That's what I want to write, my AO disagree's so I need to see it in writing where I can.

Latest Threads