Can reservists fly ?

This pic of a casevac in Afghanistan was sent to me by an american friend. The helicopter is from the Pennsylvania National Guard - they also have 2 Bn of Apache FFS !!

- Apologies if anyone thinks this should be in the aviation forum but I thought it was too good !

Attachments

I think it's fair to say that that gets a "good work fella" from this call-sign.

Nope, pretty standard really!

Better hope them embers don't set the building on fire :D ,

Goose_Rider said:
Trossachs - don't want to urine on your chips mate, but it wasn't a casevac.

10th Mountain Division on Op MOUNTAIN RESOLVE.

also here:

http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/nov2003/a111703f.html
Oh well, still damn good flying !

The wierd co-incidence there is that I spent time in Bosnia with 10th Mountain. They were replaced by the Texas NG who also had a heap of helicopters. They deployed a Bn each of Apache, Kiowa Warrior and Blackhawk ! Now that is really investing in your reserves !

Trevelez said:
An excellent job; I just hope it wasn't by Photoshop, which it probably was.
Pilot was US National Guard, although his usual day-job was also flying (Yank equivalent of HEMS)

All in a days work for a CH47 pilot (ours and theirs), there are plenty more examples of this type of hover (ridges, winch holes, etc) - no photoshop trickery required !!! :wink:

Goose_Rider said:
Trevelez said:
Pilot was US National Guard, although his usual day-job was also flying (Yank equivalent of HEMS)

All in a days work for a CH47 pilot (ours and theirs), there are plenty more examples of this type of hover (ridges, winch holes, etc) - no photoshop trickery required !!! :wink:
My apologies for being a cynic; excellent work.

And your point is?

The US ANG is bigger than the entire British forces?

STAB Yanks pilots are better than us?

Youre a cock?

The Lord Flasheart said:
And your point is?

The US ANG is bigger than the entire British forces?

STAB Yanks pilots are better than us?

Youre a cock?
None of the above. My point is that the US invests heavily in its reserves and gets damn good service out of them. We have TA helicopter pilots with near obsolete gazelle and no published plan as to what happens when gazelle is finally withdrawn. A valuable asset - a pile of ex regular trained helicopter pilots - potentially going to waste.

The RAF has reservist aircrew flying Hercules at Lyneham.

they are mostly ex-reg aircrew who fly with airlines as their primary job.

Trevelez said:
No this was not done by photo shop. During a large scale exercise in the Falklands exactly the same move was made. It takes a lot of comms from the load master and pilot but it can be done. Whilst it rested its tailgate on wireless ridge we piled on our demo casualties and then flew back to MPH tactically (Hugging the mountain side) which made everyone vomit in tandem. When we arrived back the pilot proceeded to remove their helmet to reveal she was one of the fittest squaddies I have ever seen.