Can People Distinguish Pate from Dog Food?

Alib, it's all about proper presentation:

Attachments

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
S'easy, dog food has more meat in it and tastes better :)

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
Late 1980s at the RADC Officer's Mess there was a dining out dinner for the departing dental officer from 23PFA. At the end of the dinner he asked those who had port and melon whether they had enjoyed it? He then asked whether those who had liver pate had enjoyed it?

finally he explained that those who had the pate were the ones who had signed on for the dinner only after word got out that he had put money behind the bar to pay for everyone's drinks.

He then produced the empty Pedigree Chum liver flavour tins.

I'll bet dogs can.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Comforting words from a chef!
TBH, it says "fit for human consumption" on dog food (or used to), more than can be said for any packet/tin of pate!

More in LAT:
The researchers behind a new study found that, despite what we've been led to believe about the taste of Alpo or Mighty Dog, many people can't. That study, scheduled to be released tomorrow by the American Assn. of Wine Economists, tested 18 volunteers on their ability to tell between fancy fare like pâté and some less elegant-sounding alternatives like dog food and Spam. Our colleague Jerry Hirsch explains the results of the blind taste-test:
"We have this idea in our head that dog food won't taste good and that we would be able to identify it, but it turns out that is not the case," said Robin Goldstein, a co-author of the study.Goldstein said the tasting demonstrated that "context plays a huge role in taste and value judgment," even though researchers warned the participants that one of the five foods they were going to taste was dog food.
The five samples came from a wide price range and were processed to have a similar consistency. The foods were duck liver mousse, pork liver pâté, two imitation pâtés -- pureed liverwurst and Spam -- and Newman's Own dog food.

Of the 18 participants, 15 misidentified the substance they believed to be dog food. (Eight thought the liverwurst was dog food, four thought the Spam was, and one identified the duck liver mousse as Newman's Own canine cuisine. Two even identified the high-end pâté as dog food.)
But 72% of the participants rated the actual dog food as the worst-tasting pâté.
Now if you has a randomly selected a sample of 18 British OAPs I'm sure they'd be able to pick out the dog food.

When my sister was married & living in MQs, she cooked the Sunday lunch of Yorkshire puddings veg & tinned stew. She'd had an unholy row with her hubby & got her own back by replacing his with a tin of dog food & he couldn't tell the difference. Hardly surprising really tho' as he was ACC.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Has no one ever tried dog food for a bet before? Or are you all just denying it?

L

lumpy2

Has no one ever tried dog food for a bet before? Or are you all just denying it?
My mother used to be in the habit of putting small amounts of left over food on plates in the larder. My dad once helped himself to a large spoonful of what he believed to be branston pickle. It was dog food.

Some time later, he took his revenge by offering one of our dogs a pickled onion. The dog's face was a picture as it grabbed the onion, decided it didn't like it but didn't want to lose face by spitting it out!

When my sister was married & living in MQs, she cooked the Sunday lunch of Yorkshire puddings veg & tinned stew. She'd had an unholy row with her hubby & got her own back by replacing his with a tin of dog food & he couldn't tell the difference. Hardly surprising really tho' as he was ACC.
I've a similar tale from the 70s. Friend's mother came across stash of unmarked cans in the attic. Identified them as meat pie filler. Oh dear it wasn't until granny visited that the tasty mystery meat was identified and extra HP sauce was requested.

I hope that hasn't put anybody off their Findus lasagne.

I've done it whilst caned out my skull and remember it being quite tasty. On the other hand, Kit-E-Kat and Whiskas ..... Yuk!