Can Parking eye actually fine you ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AIR FILTER, Aug 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Parking eye, you know, the big brother supermarket car parking people who cleverly make their demanding letters look all authoritative and official have NO power to prosecute!

This is because a supermarket car park is classified in law as private land,(the supermarket itself being the landlord) you will get a couple of official looking letters from them trying to bang you for a quick £40 and then £70 if not paid in the usual 14 days, then it all goes quiet on the western front.

Anyone else know about this firm that try it on with the weekly shopper ?

2. I personally look for a Parking eye car park when i need long term parking. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. If you Goggle this you will find websites that give a ****

• Like Like x 1
  4. That's good information. Best we are informed. Strange a thread hasn't mentioned this before?

5. I just "Goggled" it and the answer is no, they can't.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lmao

7. Result.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Is this true for service station car parks? Mrs got a whoppa of a fine last year for parking too long...

9. A private parking company cannot fine you, in fact it is illegal for them to use the terms fine or penalty. What they can do is send you a 'speculative invoice' hoping that you are stupid enough to pay it. They cannot prosecute you either, the owner of the land would have to bring an action & they would have to prove to a court that they had suffered a loss due to your action.

In other words tell them to refer to the reply given in the case of Arkell v Pressdram.

• Like Like x 3
  10. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

They have to prove it was you that parked the car there, which is a huge risk to take up a civil claim in the event they lost through lack of evidence - which is why it is rarely taken further than idle threats. But this doesn't mean you can park on private land and do what the hell you like.

A lot of people believe they are parking in a free spot and fall victim to inadequate signage, or lack of local knowledge and don't intend to violate any contaventions. But the people who do it just to 'stick it to the man' are asking for it in my opinion and deserve the fine.

Even if they do have CCTV footage of you getting out of the vehicle, photographs etc - they can only claim for punitive damages - i.e. what they would have lost in revenue. So if it's free to park for a max stay 3 hours, with additional charges at £4.00 per hour or part thereof and you stayed for 4 hours and got a ticket - they can only legally claim £4.00 back.

Take it from someone who has looked very deep into this matter :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Typhoon - Yes it's the same for many Service Station car parks - South Mimms for example is monitored by Parking Eye (max stay 2 hours, and £8.00 per hour or part thereof afterwards). Your missus (if it was her parking) should only be liable to pay £8.00 for each hour she overstayed in this example case.

12. Mwahh hah aha.

She got what I now know to be an invoice for £90 (£130 if not paid in 14 days). - Stressed and paid up after I laughed my socks off.

Glad the money wasn't coming out of my pocket, but thanks for the heads up.

13. I thought that non payment of the fine meant they would send bailiffs to your house, force entry and take possessions to cover the debt?

14. Not without a CCJ that had previously been obtained and defaulted on + the permission of a court to take enforcement.

Also it is not a fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. You can wipe your arse on the private tickets, they're non enforcable invoices, nothing more.

• Like Like x 1