Can Officers drive?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by flarkey, May 25, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And i dont mean "Can Officers drive?" as in "are they good drivers or bad drivers", coz we all know the answer to that one.  ;)

I mean, are they allowed to drive? Is it stated in Queens Regs or JSP341 (or whatever the driving JSP is) that offiers cant drive green vehciles? I know that Officers shouldn't drive whenever possible, but in todays undermanned army its not always possible to have a driver on hand.

Reason being: I am a TA Lt, and was recently told by our new PSI (a Sgt) that I shoudn't be driving "as stated in JSP341" and would not be not insured, even though my MT Sgt has issued me with a FMT600 etc etc...

Answers on a postcard please....
  2. Officers can drive provided they have the necessary paperwork.

If they have accident though, they could be up in front of their CO or Bde Comd in exactly the same way an OR goes in front of his Coy/Sqn Comd or CO depending on the severity of the accident.
  3. The rules, as I understand them, are that an Officer should not drive a military vehicle when there is an individual, of a lesser rank, in the same vehicle who can also drive (ie. with the correct documentation).

... but that should go without saying - shouldn't it?
  4. Generally comes down to local theatre rules. Very embarassing when the main 'drive' is to keep speed down to prevent accidents and then find that officers and WO's are getting done for said offence.
  5. Have a word in your Tp Sgts ear and tell him he talking tosh (politely of course).

Rules about Officers behind the wheel are imposed by local commanders to avoid the embarrassing situations already mentioned above.  However, what can happen is that a few idle individuals don't bother their arse to do their tick tests and get their FMTs because "we're not allowed to drive."  This potentially means that an officer can't respond if required to for good operational reasons.

Would an infantry plattoon commander not bother to learn how to fire the 51mm mortar or a LAW just because he wouldn't normally be the one using the weapon system? I am firmly of the opinion that where possible and realistic an Officer should try and emulate the general qualifications of his lads.

During one tour of Bosnia, I often had to make long journeys (Bihac to Sarajevo or Banja Luka to Split).  To make my driver cover the whole distance whilst I sat twiddling my thumbs is not only bad leadership but is also bloody dangerous.  And so in contravention of Theatre orders I would drive in order to ensure we didn't end up in a ditch because LCpl X was chin strapped.  I judged this to be an operational necessity and would have justified it as such if asked about it.   Why have a fresh driver sat idly by just because he happens to an officer?  We're paid that bit extra to make informed decisions and not to blindly follow rules.
  6. If you absolutely need to drive, get your OC to request the CO to authorise you in writing to do so. CYA!

Plus make sure you have actually done (and can prove it) any necessary theory tests and familiarisation training.  

It is not good leadership skills to be seen to be breaking the rules because you fancy a cabby in a rover !
  7. hvm boy, i`ve seen u drive! ;) and ur oc`s definitely rite not to let u. anyway the only driving ur lot do is home from the mess afta a nite on the piss ;D
    maybe i shudn`t say that :-[ :-X :-X
  8. I believe the whole problem stemmed from when an accident in a military vehicle meant that disciplinary action had to be started against the driver. For Officers, this means the Bde Comd (formal note, not extras from the Adjt), and no CO wants to 'bother' the Brigadier..!! ;D ::)

A few years ago, the rules changed with little fanfare, and accidents are now not automatically seen as likely negligence (at least not as far as JSP 341 is concerned!). Ipso facto, Officers are like everyone else. Of course, CO's may have instigated different unit policies, and you need FMT 600, conversion training, ad nauseam.... ;)
  9. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

On another note, the argument regarding insurance is not valid, as the MoD only insures its fleet 3rd party, not fully comp.  It underwrites all damage itself, rather than having any insurance policy for it, hence all FMT 600 holders are permitted to drive, just like in a normal civi company.