can nhs pay for private operation

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I am waiting for a decompression joint operation in my shoulder , when i had the other one done some 18 months ago the consultant said I need this one done as well. He put me off for the best part of the year from jan 2017 untill jan 2018 for the consultation which started the clock running for my second op, I had a missed appointment due to the appointment form not being put into a letter as an attachment. I have now been cancelled off twice because the Department is in code black .

I understand the if a hospital missed its target that I have the right to go private and have the local trust pay for it . Is this true and how do I go about it please .
I am also just starting the clock running for a new knee operation starts Sept after four years of monitoring and saying its wear and tear well now its bloody well torn and i am in such pain that I take a minimum of 8 tramadel each day with two paracetamol as well .

Rant over, please help troops

I feel your pain; and I also think you have something there regarding local trusts missing their targets. I guess the first port of call must be your GP and ask him/her to get the ball rolling.

Have you considered these people? RJAH Hospital Film

It seems easy and straight forward and that is enough to make me wonder if it is as good as it appears.

Again, the first call is to your GP for their recommendation.

Hope you get your pain and quality of life sorted sooner rather than later. Good luck!

Guide to NHS waiting times in England
some information here. In my experience, the only way to hurry up a referral is to see the Consultant privately initially, thus avoiding the (in my case 6 month) wait before being put on the list. Once I was seen, I was listed for my (first one of 2) knee op. Seen in November 2017, listed for op end of July 2018. Op moved back as I expressed a preference as to where I had it done. Seeing Consultant next week - hopefully new op date before the end of the year. Good luck, orthopaedic surgery isn't much fun, but the outcome should be less pain and a return of function, to a point. Don't struggle on with pain, as this results in you doing less and consequent muscle wastage. Slow release morphine helps me, and swimming.

Last edited:
I feel your pain; and I also think you have something there regarding local trusts missing their targets. I guess the first port of call must be your GP and ask him/her to get the ball rolling.

Have you considered these people? RJAH Hospital Film

It seems easy and straight forward and that is enough to make me wonder if it is as good as it appears.

Again, the first call is to your GP for their recommendation.

Hope you get your pain and quality of life sorted sooner rather than later. Good luck!
@sirbhp
Give RJAH a go.

I recently requested a referral to the Veteran's Orthopaedic Service for my knackered knees (Osteoarthritis).

The initial appointment came through really quickly as did the appointment for the MRI, I am back up there again next month to discuss my options.
I cannot fault them for the quality of care or attitude, the only issue I have is the distance I have to travel, which is my fault for living near london.

My mother has had both knees replaced, the first was at an NHS hospital, but it was a Swedish team shipped in for a week, so not sure how the finances went with that.

The second, the NHS consultant offered the op at the local Nuffield, all paid for by the NHS.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
@sirbhp
Give RJAH a go.

I recently requested a referral to the Veteran's Orthopaedic Service for my knackered knees (Osteoarthritis).

The initial appointment came through really quickly as did the appointment for the MRI, I am back up there again next month to discuss my options.
I cannot fault them for the quality of care or attitude, the only issue I have is the distance I have to travel, which is my fault for living near london.

I do fancy this option but i am buggered if i can get to brum for consultations and possibly an op. I am struggling to get to the local hospital here in Sarfend .

I do fancy this option but i am buggered if i can get to brum for consultations and possibly an op. I am struggling to get to the local hospital here in Sarfend .
@sirbhp,
The first time I went up, I "let the Train take the strain". A journey (with 2 changes) that should have taken just over 3 hours each way took over 6 hours each way due to "signal failures".
My Wife accompanied me in the car for the last appointment (she drove me back), but it still took about 3 hours each way.
If you don't have anyone who can travel with you, see if you can use the NHS Patient Transfer Service. How do I organise transport to and from hospital?

I would encourage you not to put this in the "too difficult" pile, griz it out and get up to Gobowen, it's the only way to get sorted. Jump into your GP's in-tray and get them to book you in, it took my GP less than a minute to look RJAH and the Veteran's Service up and get me an appointment.
Might also be worth checking whether your GP has you recorded on their system as a Veteran (they input an identifying code).

At least the Tramadol does something for you, it has absolutley no effect on me.:(

@sirbhp,
The first time I went up, I "let the Train take the strain". A journey (with 2 changes) that should have taken just over 3 hours each way took over 6 hours each way due to "signal failures".
My Wife accompanied me in the car for the last appointment (she drove me back), but it still took about 3 hours each way.
If you don't have anyone who can travel with you, see if you can use the NHS Patient Transfer Service. How do I organise transport to and from hospital?

I would encourage you not to put this in the "too difficult" pile, griz it out and get up to Gobowen, it's the only way to get sorted. Jump into your GP's in-tray and get them to book you in, it took my GP less than a minute to look RJAH and the Veteran's Service up and get me an appointment.
Might also be worth checking whether your GP has you recorded on their system as a Veteran (they input an identifying code).

At least the Tramadol does something for you, it has absolutley no effect on me.:(
Gobowen is brilliant. If you have to travel up, make a trip out of it and Sta a few days - lovely part of the world, Borders/Shropshire/North Wales @sirbhp . @shiny_arrse if your not getting pain relief from tramadol, pointless taking it, get GP to prescribe something different, don't get fobbed off. There are lots of different options, and if your GP isn't helpful, find one that is! It is important that you move as much as possible, and pain will stop you moving and slow down recovery. Good luck

Gobowen is brilliant. If you have to travel up, make a trip out of it and Sta a few days - lovely part of the world, Borders/Shropshire/North Wales @sirbhp . @shiny_arrse if your not getting pain relief from tramadol, pointless taking it, get GP to prescribe something different, don't get fobbed off. There are lots of different options, and if your GP isn't helpful, find one that is! It is important that you move as much as possible, and pain will stop you moving and slow down recovery. Good luck
@Equinox,

Have to agree that Gobowen and the surronding area is nice. However, the knackered knees that most of us have makes it difficult to explore (plenty of decent Pubs a short drive away (the food and Beer in The Queens Head in Queens Head was fantastic) though.:p

As to pain relief, I have stopped taking drugs. I find that acupunture gives me the best relief, when I told my GP that the Tramadol had no effect, he offered Morphine. I'm not quite ready to go down that route.
Hopefully, I will get a decent resolution from RJAH.

@Equinox,

Have to agree that Gobowen and the surronding area is nice. However, the knackered knees that most of us have makes it difficult to explore (plenty of decent Pubs a short drive away (the food and Beer in The Queens Head in Queens Head was fantastic) though.:p

As to pain relief, I have stopped taking drugs. I find that acupunture gives me the best relief, when I told my GP that the Tramadol had no effect, he offered Morphine. I'm not quite ready to go down that route.
Hopefully, I will get a decent resolution from RJAH.
Morphine is my current pain relief - it enables me to get about, a bit
as I need two new knees. Plenty of places to see and get to for a person of limited mobility - I should know, I live here. I felt similarly to you re the morphine, however, once it gets severe enough, its the only option. Again, I did have acupuncture and see the osteopath regularly, but even he got to the point of saying"I can't do any more to help you, you need surgery" not a nice thing to hear at 50, but reaping the results of hammered knees, mostly keeping going on injured joints when rest would have been sensible, and too much running and skiing
. . Apart from making one feel slightly sick and taking MOST, not all, of the pain away, its ok. I certainly cannot see why anyone would take it for fun, and I don't take it every day, only if I know some walking will be needed.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I have spondilutis with dish, as well as rotary cuff disorder and need a new knew whilst i am at it .
finding out the the private sector are cherry picking only take the easy non complicated patients.
Coz of the spondilitus i canont be entubed.
As expected the lady director from the hospital has not called back as she promised .

I have spondilutis with dish, as well as rotary cuff disorder and need a new knew whilst i am at it .
finding out the the private sector are cherry picking only take the easy non complicated patients.
Coz of the spondilitus i canont be entubed.
As expected the lady director from the hospital has not called back as she promised .
Good old NHS - London hospitals all pretty good - best surgeons want London on their CV before sodding off
elsewhere in pursuit of filthy lucre. You'll be fine lovely