Can my wife join?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by jock3233, May 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    Hopefully someone can help I am currently serving in the army and after talking to my wife today she expressed an interest in joining up aswell. We have 2 children and currently live in SFA at my base does anyone know if it is possible for her to join and if so any details around it ie would the army support it in any way.

2. These days the Army is an equal opportunities employer. Selection is based on their needs along with the applicants merit and ability to pass muster.

3. I currently work shifts 24 on 24 off and work every second weekend do you know if the army would provide any help with childcare?

4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

You had kids, your problem.

WAH shield down.

5. I just meant do they do childcare vouchers etc? What about postings are the army quite accommodating with keeping spouses based close? For example my wife wants to join AGC as a CHRS which are obviously based everywhere we are.

6. The MoD do childcare vouchers that you could already apply for if you are paying for childcare - that doesn't count if you 'pay' your wife to look after your kids.

The Army is under no obligation to try to keep serving couples together. Whilst I have seen couples serving in some locations together I have also seen it where couples have been separated for a considerable amount of time and over a great distance.

One point to consider is that if you are in the same unit and that unit deploys you should both be expected to deploy and your kids would need to go to Grandparents for example.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thats brilliant thanks for all the help. All sounds like too much hassle to be honest and strain on the family. going to look into childcare vouchers though. Thanks everyone

8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

AGC CHRS?????? Does your wife have no respect for herself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Its the closest to what she does in civvy street and everyone needs a clerk.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As well as looking at regular service she might want to look at the reserve which may suit your lifestyle better. If she were to join a Nationally Recruited unit (CVHQ) it wouldn't matter if you got posted as she would not be tied to a TA Centre.

National TA Units - British Army WebsiteDon't worry about the location thats just the HQs. NR types travel all over the country.

11. I had mentioned TA to her but she wants something more full time definately an option though. Thanks for all the advice.

12. Is looking after your offspring not full time enough for her? My missus always said it was!!

13. God why? Don't you barely see her as it is, or is that her whole point?

14. No idea she hears me complaining enough so dont know why she wants to. Personally she can crack on catch me up rank wise for the money and ill quite happily sign off n play with the kids all day (How hard can it be). I think she thinks it will be easier than ive made out.