Can my TA unit do this?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Mr_d, Mar 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been told that I will now be the Regimental Medic for my RA unit. I will be getting re-capbadged RAMC and they will be putting me on the next CMT 2 (V) course. They are also going to train me so I can drive the ambulance.

I've also been told that they are going pay a private civvie company to get me on a blue lights course and get me registered to drive the military ambulance with blue lights. Can they do this?

2. I wouldnt complain, theres loads who would love the chance to do this!

3. msr

msr LE

Did you ask them to?

4. you , i guess, have a problem with this?

free course, civ qual, paid during training
    where's the down side?

5. Just to get this right in my head.

So without any consultation they are re-badginging you

6. Ok. they did consult me because they are looking for a regimental medic. I'm not complaining. I was just a bit concerned that I race down to the medical centre with blue lights only to find that I end up getting arrested by the police half way down the A3 on a weekend.

7. ehh so whats your point am I missing something

8. If im using the blue lights in an emergency situation and then get pulled over by the police, would I get into trouble? I thought only emergency services (Police, Fire, Paramedics, mountain rescue) can use blue lights.

9. If you get sent on the civvie ran blue light course then you're qualified to drive with blue lights.

Surely that's obvious?

10. Not if you're a TA mong.

11. my bold, im guessing your unit wouldnt just make up such a statement. I'd look forward to this, like was said above, civ qual and pay, you cant lose really.

12. I see your point. :roll:

13. Why do you think your mil ambulance has blue lights on top? For decoration?

14. the law of the land as it stands states an Ambulance which meets a specific defintion in unequivocably able to display blues lights, have a siren and claim exemptions. ( road vehicles lighting regs, road traffic act, road traffic regualtion act etc etc etc)

If /When S.19 of the road safety act 2006 gets enacted ( needs a piece of secondary legislation) only people who have completed (as yet unspecified) training will be allowed to claim the speed exemption.

if your unit are offering training and are putting it down in writing that you are an authorised emergency driver it really won't be an issue unless

a. you misuse it
    b. you drive carelessly/ dangerously and a cause an RTC as a result
    c. S.19 road safety is brought in to power and you don't have the right training to claim the speed exemption and you get caught speeding.

15. I hate to say this but yes they are pretty much for decoration at the moment. They are currently disconnected because they don't have any medics until I turned up and passed my CMT 3