• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Can I wear uniform on the train?

P3HO

Old-Salt
Never thought about this before but can I wear uniform on the train?

I have to go down South (yuk) for a meeting next week and I aint taking my car. Is it OK to travel on the train in C95?

Cheers.

P3HO

Old-Salt
I appreciate that there is the raised profile risk but I just need to confirm the rules and regs side of things.

Just my luck I will get the shat kicked out of me by a drunken fanatic 8O

WRAPJOBAGAIN said:
if you want to stand out.

no is your answer.
Um, the answer is yes. While on duty (and traveling to a meeting counts) he can travel in uniform. Whether he chooses to is his own decision.

T C

I believe the DIN that came out about this stated that Uniform was allowed in Public except at Airports and Railway Stations. So unless you're catching your train from anywhere other than the Station your answer is no.

Jimima

Bullsh1t. It is up to the individual to decide.

Where the hell are these rumours coming from.

The war with the IRA is over (Tony surrendered years ago) and the Islamists are, I believe, an accepable risk. You'd have to be very unlucky.

It is your call.

JSP 800 Vol 2 (I think its Vol 2) Refers to duty travel and the reason people report for flights in civilians is due to the possibility of flights being diverted (very brief explanation).

It is my understanding that the answer is also yes if you are Off Duty (if it flicks your switches). AIN 133/07 Refers: Although this AIN is dated Jan 07 and states detailed instructions will be promulgated in a LANDSO, I haven’t seen such a LANDSO

Why not? I travel on the train nearly every day and very often I see soldiers in uniform, desert and woodland. They are usually smartly turned out and a credit to their units. I thought the latest thinking was to have more uniform in public in the UK mainland?

CAARPS said:
JSP 800 Vol 2 (I think its Vol 2) Refers to duty travel and the reason people report for flights in civilians is due to the possibility of flights being diverted (very brief explanation).

It is my understanding that the answer is also yes if you are Off Duty (if it flicks your switches). AIN 133/07 Refers: Although this AIN is dated Jan 07 and states detailed instructions will be promulgated in a LANDSO, I haven’t seen such a LANDSO
I don’t think I said anything about trains flying 8O 8O

Wear it with pride, be smart and polite
oh and make sure you have ID to prove youre not; walt,airsofter,fronteersman or primark customer !!

WW

wheelchairwarrier said:
Wear it with pride, be smart and polite
oh and make sure you have ID to prove youre not; walt,airsofter,fronteersman or primark customer !!

WW
There's some good advice. Beret on and be proud of yourself.

T C

Yes you can. I did it the other day. I had to go into London at v short notice and the quickest and most effective way was by train. Mainline train into London and then tube to final destination not far from Buck House. Checked with LONDIST first and got back "it is not forbidden but it isn't encouraged!" So basically "its your decision and if it goes Pete Tong don't say we didn't warn you."

Having said that I got a few double takes on the train but no aggro whatsoever. I met an ex soldier (Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?) who was very supportive.

WW has hit the nail write on the head with his post.

Berlin

Over4MeNow said:
Too true! Make sure you don't have your beret shoved iny our map pocket and just look smart and proud. Fuck em all

Feckin well said O4MN. Yes wear it, make sure you are smart, remain correctly dressed, and well behaved, and feck all those who say no.

Strongbow said:
Why would you want to?

Travel anonymous and stay clear of hassel...
Don't take this personally but your reply shows all that is wrong with this country and it's attitude to the Forces. They are so used to us being made to feel ashamed of who and what we are that it has become acceptable to hide what we do in case we offend someone and they 'hassle' us. If it was not for those in uniform they would not have freedom of speech and any attempt to 'hassle' those in uniform would result in something unpleasant. Now that we can wear uniform in public places, without being on a specific duty, then why shouldn't we? So long as those who are seen in public places are smart and polite, it can only do good to heighten the public's awareness of the Forces. If 'hassled' there are 2 choices, ignore them and do not get drawn into and argument, thus preserving your dignity or if the person becomes abusive then do what any citizen would do, report them. However, IMHO, hiding in civvies to avoid 'hassle' is the last reason to not wear uniform.

chimera

LE
This issue is covered on a number of other ARRSE threads. Straight quote from Army Information Note 33/07, which is easily found on ArmyNet:

ISSUE

Clarification on the rules for wearing uniform in public, thereby increasing the profile of the Army amongst the wider British public.

KEY POINTS

• With the exception of Northern Ireland1, personnel may wear uniform whilst off duty in public unless otherwise directed by the chain of command. This is no change to the current policy, which is based on the principle of personal choice.

• In circumstances where personnel wish to preserve their anonymity or the anonymity of their family and home address they will not be compelled to wear uniform in public unless on duty.

• Commanders and COs are empowered to modify regulations, but are required to inform their regional chain of command when they make such modifications.

• Whilst public visibility of officers and soldiers in uniform raises the profile of the Army, the wearing of uniform in public also brings with it a responsibility to maintain the highest standards of both dress and behaviour.