Can I wear my Mess Dress after I leave the Army?

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by ChampionTheWonderBedford, Jun 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wonder if any of you fine chaps know what the etiquette is for wearing the old blue drinking suit after you've got out. Rather than flog it for a fraction of what I paid for it, I would like to keep it (as it is probably the only made-to-measure suit I will ever own!) but not sure if, as ex-Army, it is the done thing to wear it at weddings, fancy balls, etc.........

Am quite prepared for a torrent of abuse, but don't mind as long as a sensible answer appears as well!

2. Depends if Mrs Bedford is into kinky Mess Dress sex....with you that is.

3. Are you so tight with your cash that you are unable to part with 200 quid for a dinner jacket?

Are you in a Scots or Yorkshire Reg't by any chance?

PS Don't wear it to a fancy dress, you will look like a bell end.

4. I'm often seen in mine, meandering through the aisles at LiDL, ALDI and All Days. I paid for it, so I'll wear it.

• Like Like x 4
  5. It belongs to you, do whatever you like.

You will look desperately sad though.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Technically yes, as long as you were an SNCO or officer and post 'R' on your epaulettes.

The main question is why the **** would you want to?

7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Why would you want to?

8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Damm. Gremlin beat me to it.

9. FTFY

10. Leave the man alone. I'm wearing nothing but an S10 and NBC gloves at this very moment. What's the problem?

• Like Like x 1
  11. It will make a wonderful smoking jacket when worn with a set of clasic striped PJ's in the study.

Ps ensure you wear minatures for collecting the post on the butlers morning orf

12. Adam Ant Walt

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm wearing mine all the time. Not the jacket, just the taffeta frock. It makes me feel like Scarlett O'Hara.

Grandmother rights were claimed.

Bickies, veg aisle at Tesco on Saturday? How will I recognise you?

14. What are the rules?

15. Are you trying to "bump start" bulimia?