Can I suggest a toast, tonight 5 june, @23:15 hrs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jun 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At 00:15 hrs Double British Summer Time on the 6th june 1944 ( ie 23:15 BST, 5th june ) a glider, piloted by S/Sgt Jim Wallwark ( Glider Pilots Regiment ) landed 28 men from 2nd Ox and Bucks, 47 meters from Benouville, later Pegasus Bridge.

D Day had begun.

Thanks lads.
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Will raise a glass to them BB - thanks for the heads up
  3. here here will gladly drink to that with you BB. Very brave men they deserve to be remembered for what they did.2315 one very large glass of finest malt in their honour.
  4. Absolutely, thanks for posting Bravo Bravo, Brave men, one and all.

Raised glasses
  5. I've a rather nice 12 year old from Jura upstairs, think I'll fetch it down and celebrate!

Might have a drink too!

Nice One Bravo x 2.

Cheers everyone.

6. Thank you Bravo Bravo for making me aware of this. My late farther went over on D Day +3 with the RAOC. I offer a toast and thanks to them all.
  7. One on the window sill here, for the brave souls flying by...... Bless em.

Beebs x
  8. Excellent Post BB

Raising a glass to the true hero's
  9. I'm hugging a large measure of Highland Park and paying a thought to deeds done by SSGT Wallwark.

10. Four of the surviving old boys, left to right, Nobby Clarke, Tich Rayner, Tom Packwood and Geoff Barkway glider pilot in the wheelchair - June 2005

11. I might even get out the DVD of The Longest Day...

The toast?

Up the Ox and Bucks! UP THE OX AND BUCKS!
  12. Never a year passes without a quiet glance to the skies in silent rememberence.

I wonder how many of my brother army aviators will look up tonight and raise a glass?

One hell of an achievement.
  13. I think this might be an opportune moment to crack my bottle of Port.

"Ham and Jam".
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I've just posted a quick reminder on the military board of PPRuNe, since they'd forgotten.
  15. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Port it is. Thanks pal.

Legends, all of them.