Can I still do A-Levels in the army ?

I'm in year 11 and I'm considering joining the Army Foundation College however a big factor for me is if I can still do A-Levels there or in the army. So if someone can reply and tell me my options it would be appreciated.

Truxx

LE
I think they are more focussed on preparation for service rather than academic qualification, but I could be wrong. A trip to the careers office would be in your interests. I am unsure of where you sit in the academic ability spectrum, but if your emphasis is on A levels then Welbeck is the place for you. Home | Welbeck The Defence 6th Form College, but hurry while it still exists.

Offa

War Hero
If you want to join as an officer, take A Levels before you leave school, then apply to the Regular Commissions Board. If you are entering as a soldier, via AFC, why do you need A Levels? You will have the opportunity to take other accreditation (see www.army.mod.uk/personnel-and-welfare/career-enhancing-qualifications/).
From my own experience, although a long time ago now, I left school before I took A Levels, did an A Level correspondence course (paid for by the army) while I was serving in Cyprus. Eventually, upon leaving the army, went to uni (a breeze after military training), graduated and later gained an MA. You never know how your life will turn out - just do your best at everything.

I do not know about AFC so I cannot comment. However, my last posting I was at a major HQ and evening classes were offered up to GCSE level - I went along and did maths to brush up. If you want to do A Levels it would likely be a correspondence course, or if you are in the UK and near a FE college then you could go along evenings and do A Levels. A friend of mine even got day release as a SSGT and picked up a HND over a 3 year posting in the UK.

As @Offa said doing a university course after the army is a breeze, I kicked off doing a HND as I was a bit unsure of my ability, being a simple squaddy, and very quickly found that I was one of the better students, picked up a degree, masters and did some other postgrad stuff.

My best advice to you: If I were you I would stay at home and get the A Levels out of the way before joining. It makes it one less thing to worry about when you have joined.

windswept398

Old-Salt
I'm in year 11 and I'm considering joining the Army Foundation College however a big factor for me is if I can still do A-Levels there or in the army. So if someone can reply and tell me my options it would be appreciated.
Do your A levels, then uni/apprenticeship/college. Then join the army.

I think they are more focussed on preparation for service rather than academic qualification, but I could be wrong. A trip to the careers office would be in your interests. I am unsure of where you sit in the academic ability spectrum, but if your emphasis is on A levels then Welbeck is the place for you. Home | Welbeck The Defence 6th Form College, but hurry while it still exists.
I think the final intake for Welbeck was September this year so don't think that option will be available any more.

Latest Threads