Can I request a copy of someones US Army military record?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Mighty_Lob_On, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi

    Is it possible to request the records of a recently retired US Army veteran under freedom of information?

    If so, how would I go about doing this, and would I be able to submit anything I discovered in the records as evidence in my favour in a court case?

    Obviously, I'm reluctant to go into any form of detail here, but general advice would be much appreciated.

  2. If past history is relevant, your lawyer should be able to directly subpoena the troop's 2-1 file (Army) or whatever the USAF/USMC/USN equivalent is.

    If it's not relevant in the eyes of the judge, I'm inclined to go with Aubrey's answer.