Can I refuse an assignment order?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by grunt34, Jun 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before anyone starts pouring vitriol all over this, yes I know the clue's in the name and that it is an order.

I've had comms from Glasgow via my RSM and the choices of job they have in mind for me bear no relation to what I have requested, either the jobs themselves or the areas they are located in. This completely ignores my choices made on the PPP I submitted (which listed the posts available to me) and also seems to completely ignore the second half of the MS principle.

I'm about to be posted for the 3rd time in a row whilst deployed and the last 2 times I got jobs that bore no relation. I'm not keen to do the hat trick and just meekly go where I'm sent because someone can't be bothered to apply any common sense, let alone career management, to the issue. No matter how much the CoC try to pour sauce on it, a shit sandwich is still a shit sandwich - especially when it's the third one in a row.

The question is this - can I decline the assignment order if it is completely at odds with what I have requested? I'd be very grateful for any advice as this is whole business is about to come screaming to a big shouty head.

Many thanks,

2. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I'll come up with a more formal answer very shortly...

But in the meantime a few realities:

You're quite right - an order is an order

A shit sandwich is as follows : Good + Shit + Good - an often misunderstood pseudonym that is generally used as a way of appraising someone - start good, discuss bad points, end on a good note - capiche?

MS Binding principle - Needs of the Army must come first - forget about any second part - that's just there to make people feel all fluffy inside

Finally - Manning & Records is all a big officer's club. ORs barely get a look in - and now they have four tranches of redundancies on their hands, start thinking "bottom of priorities" and you'll begin to see the bigger picture.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but there's no point in dressing it up any other way. My advice is to make the best of what you have.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Just tell him to poke it.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. grunt34,

No, you can't 'decline' the Order. What you can do is get in touch with your RCMO, Welfare and CoC reps to explain your reasons for not being happy with it. If you have a strong enough case and your local CoC are happy to contest it on your behalf, you stand a chance of getting it changed.

If you go in screaming with a big shouty head, you will get it back ten times worse. You need your CoC on your side so play nice.

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

How many times does this question need to be asked.

It's an order not a request!

Follow the advice of Shiny Arrse!
  6. Thanks for the advice; it does conflict with that of an LE officer who told me I could 'decline' it. Making the best of what I have is impossible - best implies that there is some good in this, and there is not. I have already given my Unit CoC info I have gathered about jobs available in both my preferred locations, as well as a short-term extension (4 months) in my current post before the promotion board sits. My concern is that as I am deployed again at posting time, my views are not necessarily being represented by the CoC that I need to have onside, as you have pointed out, and who I have already given several options that I know to be available - as I have pointed out.

By the way, every unit I've served in has a different view of a shit sandwich. Nothing to do with appraisal, everything to do with being given something utterly unpleasant, presented as a good thing or as 'taking one for the team'. That's perception for you.
  7. No mucka, David Camerons description was bang on..all those other units were wrong, you should be left feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.

Hope that you get what you want....which may, or not be be, what you deserve?
  8. TheresaMay

Making the best of what you have is by no means impossible. Believe me, I have been employed in some shitty jobs in the past and some good ones too. We just have to accept that some things are outside of our control and we can't always get what we want.

Although reading your second post eludes to the fact that maybe your CofC is not fulfilling their side of the bargain (taking into account any potential bias in your words - of course there's two sides to each story). If it's really going to cause problems in your future you need to nip this in the bud now - and decide if it's worth pursuing the matter through your UWO (and not on an internet forum as you'll just be told to suck it up, cupcake). Assignment Orders can in many cases be swapped over, but this has to be done early as it's not just your career that's hanging in the balance here - think house purchasing - before one can move out, someone needs another house to move into, which cant be moved into until that house is free etc - you get the picture?

On the subject of pictures - here's a shit sandwich:

Attached Files:

9. Most Corps/Regiments now hold employability boards after promotion boards and prior to assignment boards; best man for the job and all that. Have you ever considered that records do not deem you worthy of the assignments you are requesting and they are placing you where they think you will best serve them? Oh, and that MS binding principle about the needs of the family come a close second? Forget it, in this current climate of redundancies, PAP 10 and Army 2020, you go where you are told or hit the button.
  10. I don't believe the Army should be able to 'order' a person to uproot his life and family just because a person behind a computer says so. Surely this just displays the Army's lack of understanding of anyone on a personal level?
  11. TheresaMay

Nice try.

It's the whole "Jun 2012", "Posts: 1" that gives it away.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I think it displays your lack of understanding of the Army.

Or my inability to spot a better than average troll, one or the other.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I would desert - go AWOL.

When they catch you you can claim you have PTSD from forklift driving.
  14. Why not just blag a welfare problem, trust me. It works :)
  15. A troll? I really don't think I'm 'A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.'

I had an opinion on this subject, and I believed it to be a very valid one. Hence the post.