Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Can i quit if i don't get the job i want?

Mattt

Crow
Hey,

I want to be a military pilot, and i'm too old for the RAF or Navy (I'm 27).

If i apply and get sent to Sandhurst, and then find that the AAC aren't interested in me... can i just leave? I'm not really interested in any other job in the Army.

Thanks!

Mattt

Hey,

If i apply and get sent to Sandhurst, and then find that the AAC aren't interested in me... can i just leave? I'm not really interested in any other job in the Army.

Thanks!

Mattt

Yeah any time you like. I don't know what you've heard about sandhurst either but don't worry it's a piece of piss, this is from the dvd the army send you before you go to let you know what life at Sandhurst is like YouTube - ‪British Army: Guide to Sandhurst‬‏.

Hey,

Thanks!

Mattt

Great post you can stay, A Certain Mr jarrod will present you with your Brown wings, Just after the Medical.

hahaha, i suppose i set myself up for this.

I was actually being serious though. If a person applied to be a civilian teacher and didn't get a job they wouldn't be forced to be a garage mechanic or restaurant chef instead... they would just go apply for whatever job they wanted elsewhere. Obviously the military is different to civilian work and i just wanted to know if you could leave or if you would have to take whatever job they had going.

I have always wanted to be a pilot, and if i can't be, i'd probably go do a postgrad in uni or go to med school. I graduated in psychology and could go that route. Everyone's got to decide what they do and don't want to do in life, and that's what i want.

I wouldn't mind being infantry, and i reckon it looks like good fun, but i want something that will provide opportunities for a civilian career after my service (eg. commercial pilot). People i know who've been in the army say that being in the infantry etc leaves you with little to do afterwards.

So whilst there are other jobs in the army that i reckon i'd like, the only one i think i would like more than my civilian opportunities is to be a pilot.

Not being funny but if it's something you've always wanted to do, why wait until you are 27? And why graduate in psychology??

I'm standing by to be corrected, but I thought AAC preferred potential pilot recruits to be towards the minimum age bracket.

hahaha, i suppose i set myself up for this.

I was actually being serious though.

Ok, so a serious reply: I'm someone who is currently going through the recruiting process, soon off to sandhurst and I've had the recruitment and choice of arm proccess explained and gone over again and again.

My advice would be: If you are only planning on going to Sandhurst to be a pilot, don't bother going at all. A lot of things could happen along the way which stop you being a pilot, be it medical failure, failure to be selected at the RSB or failing flying training after you commission.

None of your training at Sandhurst will be to do with being a pilot, and if you fail to get selected for the AAC you say you want to bin it? Poor attitude and poor motivation in my opinion (for what its worth, which is admittedly not much).

Oh and I forgot to mention, look at the other threads discussing the possible lowering age limit for entry to sandhurst to 26, you'll want to get your skates on if you are going to apply.

I take it you are aware that the Army only fly Helicopters. Why not get a "proper" job in the city and then pay to learn to fly as, quite clearly, your motivation for a life in the Army is, at best, a bit suspect.

It sounds like you want to be a pilot but not a leader of men. This sort of motivation is fine for the RAF (apologies to our light blue brethren, but RAF pilots do not lead). From my dealings with them, the AAC seem to want their officers to be Army officers first and foremost and pilots second, therefore they are unlikely to be interested in potential officers who only want to fly and not lead. Whether junior AAC officers actually get the opportunity to exercise much leadership is a separate debate.

As to the age piece, I think you may struggle a bit to appear as a competitive candidate. The AAC is one of the most competitive cap-badges to commission into, lots of people want to so they can take their pick.

Hey,

Thanks!

Mattt

You sound like just the sort of person we don't want... jog on and get a job elsewhere.

Amazingly, someone in my Company did leave RMAS when he didn't get either of his choices. I actually thought it was a bit of a sh*t system at Sandhurst for Regimental Selection Boards; why wait until Senior's to find out where you're going?

But if you want to go to Sandhurst; learn how to type properly for ****'s sake.

Amazingly, someone in my Company did leave RMAS when he didn't get either of his choices. I actually thought it was a bit of a sh*t system at Sandhurst for Regimental Selection Boards; why wait until Senior's to find out where you're going?

But if you want to go to Sandhurst; learn how to type properly for ****'s sake.

So they can get a good look at you? weed out the wasters, and find out what your strengths are during the first part of training and a chance to mellow, or sharpen up. Also gives those who may not have thought about other ooptions the chance to see those options prior to selection.