Can I join with 3 unspent convictions?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by importunate, Aug 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One drunken night... theft and criminal damage. Then got the court date wrong so had a bail act conviction. Involved kicking a door and taking a book. I got a fine and had to pay compensation.

All 2 years ago. Nothing since. Nothing before. One big big mistake.

Anyway, I want to join the TA. My dad was a soldier, I now run my own company, but like the idea of being able to train and go on operations, while having the financial advantage of a civvy street wage.

I've called up the local TA center, and was told to come down to the recruitment evening on tuesday evening. However I don't want to go there to be told to do one.

So basically, is there any chance I will be able to join?

Thanks

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Oh yes, it's Friday isn't it?

On the off chance that this is genuine - highly unlikely., however you've nothing to lose by talking to your local unit anyway. Go along and find out.

3. Yep it's genuine. Got no work on, so googled it and found this site. Don't see why anyone would waste their time/life posting rubbish.

Anyway, I'll go down and see what they have to say. Worst case scenario is that they will say no I suppose.

4. If you don't confess to your convictions you will be prosecuted later on .
    Go to the recruiting night and speak to them about it .If you don't get in there's always the A.C.F.

Criminal convictions - British Army Website

5. I have no intention of lying about anything... I'm more than happy to be open about it. I just read on here that the limit was two unspent convictions and wanted some clarification. Thanks for the heads up though.

6. ACF require SC and CRB check, where I believe some TA units (IE Inf, who don't deal with sensitive material like R Signals do) only need a BC.

So if the TA won't take your convictions it'd be rather ironic if the ACF did...

Also he said he wanted to go on Ops and I think that you may struggle to do that in the cadets.

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

You can only go and ask.

Though, after the riots and looting, I have to say your timing sucks. Interesting choice of nickname, too.

Good luck.

8. What book did you steal?

9. There was a guy with a conviction of drink driving under his belt .He didn't declare it on his interview so got refused entry in to the A.C.F. . I spoke with the C.O. later on! And he told me ! If he had told the truth he would have been allowed in as it was an old conviction ..Even though drink drivers to me are the scum of the earth he was a good guy .. And i was ment to put a smile face after the A.C.F. post in my original comment :D Ex regs ex ta ex acf..

10. Oh not doubting it but it's perfectly possible that in the same situation the TA would have let him in too.

My point was that when it comes to criminality the ACF are no slacker than the TA and in fact are probably tighter in that the staff have to pass both military and civil background checks where the TA are only required to undergo military ones; and in many units, a lesser one than the ACF have to do. (ACF are all SC where some of the TA are only BC).

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Hang around here long enough and you'll soon find out! :-D

12. You are eligible for enlistment into most trades but it depends on you finding a unit willing to do some extra legwork regarding your recruitment. You will need to provide copies of your convictions which detail the punishments (fines, etc) received. Your unit then will need to submit an application for special enlistment authority saying they are willing to take you to in order to obtain approval prior to being able to attest you.