Can I join the TA at 16?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the site, so don't be too hard on me (man, i've really asked for it now!)

I want to join the Forces ASAP, but I'm only 16 and 6 months but I want to go to 6th form and Uni, so can't apply full time at the mo.

So, can I join now or do I have to wait till i'm 17-18 or what? I can't find anywhere to say what age I can join, only old cronies asking whether they are able to join at 82... or 36.

Cheers guys, I wait with presentiment apprehension for your transcendent, thorough wisecrack responses.

:)

Oh forgot to mention, the TA unit would be Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment 3rd Batallion A Company based at Farnham.

Hope this helps!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
You cant yet, but think about TA or OTC while at 6th form or uni. I joined during the second year at 6th form.

Would you like a wurthers original?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
start applying when 17 as they can cover for you a little bit I joined 1st year sixth form

Would you like a wurthers original?
I would love to indulge in such a prodigious activity, thank you Sir!

Mitts off he's mine.
Jarrod, I just wanted to pledge my loyalty to you, I have red many of your previous posts and think you are a real lad, I salute you.

Shotgun the worthers though!

I joined at the grand old age of 17 years and 2 days old. It was a little early but I knew lots of people in the company I was joining and they signed me on a junior soldier(probably bollocks but that's what they told me).

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Jarrod, I just wanted to pledge my loyalty to you, I have red many of your previous posts and think you are a real lad, I salute you.

Crikey first post and I'm in. I've had a haircut, better wash my farah's.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
just remember not to tell the adults okay, It'll be your and speshial uncle jarrods little secret.

and dont worry the pain will go away in a few days.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
as for the rest of us you can keep us quiet with lots of girly shots from school :)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
have you checked his collar and cuffs match?

I take it you won't be joining the AGC (formally the RAEC)?

I joined my TA unit (REME) when i just just shy of 17. I got paid, but couldn't go on the basic training course (or indeed any other courses) until I was the grand old age of 17.

There was mumblings of junior this and that, but I never noticed anything in it.

But it's 16 to join 1/2 PWRR infantry, how can it be 17 and 6 months to join TA unit?
It's not 16 to join reg PWRR. It's 16 to join the Army Foundation College at Horrogate - a sixth form with guns if you like. They join their units at 17.

Cutting in.....

Baron, You can join the TA from 17:

Minimum Age (TA). 17.6 years. Candidates may be enlisted as TA (Young Soldiers) between the ages of 17.0 and 17.6 to fill vacancies within authorised unit establishments. For detailed instructions please refer to TA Regs 1978 Chap 5 Annex C.

Straight off the web. So, go in a 2-3 months before your 17th Bday, ask for the forms etc, fill them out, get medicals, pass selection and see if you can't join on your 17 Bday. DO NOT let anyone mack you off until you are 17 1/2. Be persistant. Show them the regs above.