• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

can i join the army with a tattoo on the side of my neck

Tiddle said:
Yet half my BN have al sorts of shit tattooed all over their necks and hands...
Thats a retention thing though once your in no ones gonna throw a well trained soldier out for a tattoo

Chuzu said:
Tiddle said:
Thats a retention thing though once your in no ones gonna throw a well trained soldier out for a tattoo
Which makes me wonder why we're throwing away perfectly good recruits when we're so desperate to get blokes through the door.

Tiddle said:
Chuzu said:
Tiddle said:
Which makes me wonder why we're throwing away perfectly good recruits when we're so desperate to get blokes through the door.
Its called 'Standards'.

Or do you advocate just letting every tom dick and harry through the door because we are short?

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Tiddle said:
Chuzu said:
Tiddle said:
Its called 'Standards'.

Or do you advocate just letting every tom dick and harry through the door because we are short?
Yet we retain blokes who have applied tattoos above the neck line and on their hands AFETR depot. I don't advocate tattoos, I think 90% of them look fucking stupid, but ATM we're "discriminating" *shudders* against people with them before enlistment.

Tiddle said:
Yet we retain blokes who have applied tattoos above the neck line and on their hands AFETR depot. I don't advocate tattoos, I think 90% of them look fucking stupid, but ATM we're "discriminating" *shudders* against people with them before enlistment.
Discriminating? Have a word with yourself.

How sensible do you think an 18 year old is with a tat above his neck? I'd suggest not very and its an obvious indication of low IQ.

If we allowed it, at what point do you draw the line? Swastika on forehead? Surely he would feel 'discriminated' if he were not alllowed to join but his mate with a 'clowns tear' on his cheek was.

Is it true you are not allowed to join with tats on your hands? I had 'ACAB' on my knuckles but was obvioulsy still able to join.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Discriminating? Have a word with yourself.
Note the quote and *shudder*, I hate all that PC shite but thats the world we live in I'm afraid.
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
How sensible do you think an 18 year old is with a tat above his neck? I'd suggest not very and its an obvious indication of low IQ.
Then his/her BARB results will be enough to bin him/her at a nice early stage.
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
If we allowed it, at what point do you draw the line? Swastika on forehead? Surely he would feel 'discriminated' if he were not alllowed to join but his mate with a 'clowns tear' on his cheek was.
I'd suggest that racial or offensive tats would be an immediate no-no but baring someone for having a star or some other bollocks on his neck is not on IMO.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Is it true you are not allowed to join with tats on your hands? I had 'ACAB' on my knuckles but was obvioulsy still able to join.
I'm under the impression that any visible tats are a no-no but standby to be corrected. BTW what's ACAB stand for?

ACAB = 'Always Carry a Bible'. :roll:

I agree re the racial bit but I was using it as an extreme example. Lets say the tattoo on the forehead is a flower or some other non offensive tattoo. Would you suggest the chap should still be able to join with such a visible tattoo?

Where do you draw the line? The line currently is not above the neck. I think for quite good reason.

I joined with lower-arm tats at the age of 17 (i.e under the age when getting a tattoo becomes legal) and was in training with a bloke with a swastika on his back and another with a swallow on his hand. Just go to the recruiting office, chance it and don't mention it unless they do.

You will be asked to laser the damn thing off if you come across the wrong RSM as there is a bloke i know with the ultimatum "laser it off or you are out the Army"!! Then again when i was in training there was a lass there with a cannabis leaf tattooed on the back of her neck!

i hope you realise, you really shouldnt have done it!
Noone i know, who is passionate about joining the Army as a REG wouldnt have been that dumb. Try the TA!

The-Lord-Flasheart said:

I agree re the racial bit but I was using it as an extreme example. Lets say the tattoo on the forehead is a flower or some other non offensive tattoo. Would you suggest the chap should still be able to join with such a visible tattoo?

Where do you draw the line? The line currently is not above the neck. I think for quite good reason.
Very good points but if the "line" is above the neck why arn't we discharging blokes who, subsequently, tattoo their necks etc?

Extreme example: civvi with above neck tat walks in to ACIO and asks to join but gets fucked off by recruiting Sjt with tat above his neck. :roll:

Always Carry a Bible eh? Very good advice. ;)
No wahing you, eh?

The-Lord-Flasheart said:

I don't recall seeing any tattoos on anyone trooping the colour yesterday.

Somehow, I think ma'am would not be amused if there were.

Tiddle said:
Very good points but if the "line" is above the neck why arn't we discharging blokes who, subsequently, tattoo their necks etc?

Always Carry a Bible eh? Very good advice. ;)
No wahing you, eh?
In the same vein, why dont we discharge people who are below the medical limits of entrance if they've been serving for a few years? People with glasses etc who despite serving, couldnt reach the mediacal limits of entry.

I think you will find that people who get tattoos above the neck after joining dont have an easy ride and if they are unlucky, will have various interviews with the CoC (sans coffee). They may not get slung out but I'll bet their career isn't enhanced by it.

I know of at least one person whos career stopped due to having a tattoo above the neck.

As I originally said, its a standard and I for one wouldn't like to see it lowered. Its the age old dilemma though. We are short of chaps so the obvious route to relieve that is to lower standards. If we lower standards, we lose what the British Army is about and become Belgium.

I know its 'fashionable' nowadays to draw all over your face and neck because kissball playes are doing it. Doesnt mean to say we have to allow it.

Latest Threads