• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Can I Have my Old Values Back?

#1
No, I don't mean honouring thy mother and thy father or even being nice to neighbours.
I mean the old inches, pounds, shillings etc.
The weather news all week has been "up to 5 centimetres of snow" is expected etc. Christ, that's only just under 2 inches but seems massive! No wonder the country has gone snow crazy. Minus 5 tonight! No it isn't, it's plus 21. Have you noticed how we use the Centigrade when it's cold, as in "zero degrees" when it's really 32 but we use Fahrenheit in the summer as in "temperatures may top 100 degrees"? Don't get them mixed up cos 100 C would be boiling.
And can you lot envisage something that is 1.828 metres by 22.86 cm? (6 feet by 9 inches, now that I can visualise).
And how can you tell someone is tall by saying he's over 1.8 metres? Now, he's a six footer makes sense.
And this crap money. Had to buy a pack of fags today and, rather than drag myself to the corner shop where they are £4.37 I wen to the nearest Co-op where they are £4.70. Only 33p difference, thinks I. Hang on, that's almost 7 shillings a pack difference! Used to use the public bars where the beer was 1/10d as opposed to the lounge where they charged 1/11d and that was only 1d difference. That would be, ermm, 0.49 of these new pees. And at least when it was a d we used to say pence (well, punce, really) but now its a pence we say pee. Horrible.
Even the supermarkets are conning us in the way they sell packed goods which say 454g which is really the old pound. Why not say a pound?
Even them big bottles of milk have 1.9 litres on them but do have the decency to have 4 pints in bigger letters.
Of course, the septics got it right with their measures. They call half a litre a pint and litre is a quart, hence the gallon is exactly 4 litres there but here it's 4.546. Plus I know what it means when I get 35 miles to the gallon out of my car but Christ only knows how good it is when I'm told how many litres to the 100 km it does.
And were kids a bit more arithmetically competent when they had to know there were 8 half crowns in a pound, 12d in a shilling and 20 shillings to the pound or 240d? Now it's easy, they don't seem to bother. Had a bill at the supermarket the other day that was 4.30 so I gave a fiver and 30p to get the quid back. That's not right, said the halfwit behind the till and couldn't work out they had to give me a pound back! And the number of times you buy two items at, say, 35p and they have to use a calculator to work out how much it is!
Anyway, if the ranting of an old (ish) man with a slight smell of wee offends you, or you have no idea what a d is, let alone a shilling, you shouldn't be on this part of the site, anyway.
 
T

Tremaine

Guest
#2
A slight smell of wee is always offensive, no question. My Gran was extremely offensive, rest her cotton socks and whiffy nightie. Of course we know what a D is, it's next to S, the E and the F. Think we're stupid or something :?
 
#4
exbleep said:
Had to buy a pack of fags today and, rather than drag myself to the corner shop where they are £4.37 I wen to the nearest Co-op where they are £4.70. Only 33p difference, thinks I. Hang on, that's almost 7 shillings a pack difference!
JPS Blue!
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#5
JesterRIP said:
exbleep said:
Had to buy a pack of fags today and, rather than drag myself to the corner shop where they are £4.37 I wen to the nearest Co-op where they are £4.70. Only 33p difference, thinks I. Hang on, that's almost 7 shillings a pack difference!
JPS Blue!
Flash bastard !
No. 6 - or Embassy if you're feeling flush.
 
#6
I miss cigarettes that had tobacco...not this shite that fizzes and pops like a firework :x and Embassy is one of the biggest offenders.



now waits for people to tell me to stop smoking.


do one :)
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#7
ordinaryforces said:
I miss cigarettes that had tobacco...not this shite that fizzes and pops like a firework :x and Embassy is one of the biggest offenders.



now waits for people to tell me to stop smoking.


do one :)
Embassy didn't used to, it was only Marlboro that 'lep about.'
 
#8
ordinaryforces said:
I miss cigarettes that had tobacco...not this shite that fizzes and pops like a firework :x and Embassy is one of the biggest offenders.



now waits for people to tell me to stop smoking.


do one :)
No, agree totally. Refusing to give up, gone that stage further and smoke a pipe, on duty, in uniform.... because according to the drill manual, I can.
 
#9
Go the whole hog
and kit yourself out with a big bad sherlock holmes type, complete with hinged lid, and cut around barracks with an air and a swagger.

I,d actually pay good money to see that :lol: :lol:
 
#10
ordinaryforces said:
Go the whole hog
and kit yourself out with a big bad sherlock holmes type, complete with hinged lid, and cut around barracks with an air and a swagger.

I,d actually pay good money to see that :lol: :lol:
It hasn't got a hinged lid, but it has the whole big f**k off bend in it. Tragically, I am sans tache, but having a shagged leg does mean I have a walking stick. Goes great with my Denison Smock. :D
 

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
#11
One good thing about self-service tills in the supermarket. When you have an amount to pay and you have the odd cash so that you can get a note back and use up your shrapnel, but the shrapnel in first, then the note then wait for the change to come back in a single smaller note.

The change machine never looks blankly at me and says, "What are you doing?" It just gets on with it.
 

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#12
exbleep said:
And this crap money. Had to buy a pack of fags today and, rather than drag myself to the corner shop where they are £4.37 I wen to the nearest Co-op where they are £4.70. Only 33p difference, thinks I. Hang on, that's almost 7 shillings a pack difference! Used to use the public bars where the beer was 1/10d as opposed to the lounge where they charged 1/11d and that was only 1d difference. That would be, ermm, 0.49 of these new pees. And at least when it was a d we used to say pence (well, punce, really) but now its a pence we say pee. Horrible.
L&B or Richmond? 'cos up in Glasgow it cost more han £6.00 for Marlboro Reds (swine)
 
#14
AlienFTM said:
One good thing about self-service tills in the supermarket. When you have an amount to pay and you have the odd cash so that you can get a note back and use up your shrapnel, but the shrapnel in first, then the note then wait for the change to come back in a single smaller note.

The change machine never looks blankly at me and says, "What are you doing?" It just gets on with it.
Humph! Always gives me the change in pennies while the other shoppers look on thinking that I've won the jackpot.
 
#15
Cutaway said:
JesterRIP said:
exbleep said:
Had to buy a pack of fags today and, rather than drag myself to the corner shop where they are £4.37 I wen to the nearest Co-op where they are £4.70. Only 33p difference, thinks I. Hang on, that's almost 7 shillings a pack difference!
JPS Blue!
Flash bastard !
No. 6 - or Embassy if you're feeling flush.
An acquaintance of my parents used to carry two packets of fags. Benson & hedges for himself & Players No 6 if he was trapped like a rat in a corner & forced to crash the ash.

"Bloody Eric" also seemed to be able to get a tab out & on the go without anyone even seeing him reach into his pockets or light up...
 
#16
CaptainPlume said:
I think you'll find that the children of today are very knowledgeable about Imperial weights. Or at least about fractions of them like eighths...
You must live in a dodgy area, our local kids still use 'teenths.

msr
 
#17
msr said:
CaptainPlume said:
I think you'll find that the children of today are very knowledgeable about Imperial weights. Or at least about fractions of them like eighths...
You must live in a dodgy area, our local kids still use 'teenths.

msr
Aah, the well understood and colloquial term used by every sub 18 teen from Birkenhead to Grimsby..
 
#18
CaptainPlume said:
Cutaway said:
JesterRIP said:
exbleep said:
Had to buy a pack of fags today and, rather than drag myself to the corner shop where they are £4.37 I wen to the nearest Co-op where they are £4.70. Only 33p difference, thinks I. Hang on, that's almost 7 shillings a pack difference!
JPS Blue!
Flash bastard !
No. 6 - or Embassy if you're feeling flush.
An acquaintance of my parents used to carry two packets of fags. Benson & hedges for himself & Players No 6 if he was trapped like a rat in a corner & forced to crash the ash.

"Bloody Eric" also seemed to be able to get a tab out & on the go without anyone even seeing him reach into his pockets or light up...
A late acquaintance of mine could do something similar with alcohol. He had special pores which could absorb it through the container.
 

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
#19
msr said:
CaptainPlume said:
I think you'll find that the children of today are very knowledgeable about Imperial weights. Or at least about fractions of them like eighths...
You must live in a dodgy area, our local kids still use 'teenths.

msr
It would seem that the well versed dealer will no longer sell in weights, due the profit margin he can make by selling by note denomination, ie £10, £20 etc. Average price for an oz of ganja here in S London is £100 to the herbert on the street at roughly 50 decent reefers at £2 per reefer to the ounce, our financially astute dealer will knock this out as £10 wraps, getting 3 reefers to the wrap making it just over £3 each, so his profit margin is better in wraps than in selling by weight, plus half the cunts wouldn't know what an ounce is anyway.
 
#20
Joker62 said:
It would seem that the well versed dealer will no longer sell in weights, due the profit margin he can make by selling by note denomination, ie £10, £20 etc. Average price for an oz of ganja here in S London is £100 to the herbert on the street at roughly 50 decent reefers at £2 per reefer to the ounce, our financially astute dealer will knock this out as £10 wraps, getting 3 reefers to the wrap making it just over £3 each, so his profit margin is better in wraps than in selling by weight, plus half the cunts wouldn't know what an ounce is anyway.
Every day's a school day here on ARRSE!
 

Latest Threads