can I have a fresh start?

I previously served 8 years in the Engineers. I have been told that the role I want to re-join is not open to re-joiners and as it is so over subscribed it probably never will be. Was wondering if it was possible to enter as a completely new recruit again and disregard my previous service.

As then I could apply for the role as any other new recruit.

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
No.

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not the Foreign Legion. Just how did you think you could hide previous service?

I wasn't intending on hiding it, was prepared to be open with it. just if it would mean I could be considered for the job wanted I was prepared to be treated as a new recruit and attend selection/basic training as one.

I am attempting to join as a dog handler. My previous trade was apparently a "protected" trade in the engineers due to low manning so I could not transfer to the RAVC. when speaking to the ACO they said they have never known of the RAVC to take in re-joiners so are advising me not to even bother attempting to. I'm just in the process of weighing up my options. ideally id like to speak to someone directly involved in the selection and recruitment in the RAVC to ask if re-joining is even an option.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Meh... everybody wants to be a dog handler.

There's been about 6 of them asking on here recently.

I mentioned recently in connection with this - it's perfectly possible to be a non RAVC dog handler - unit cap badge. But it's not a good bet you'll get it. I did, but I was lucky.

If I wanted to be a dog handler, I reckon my best bet would be monkeys. They have dogs and they aren't falling over themselves to apply for it on account of their dog handlers being a bunch of weirdos.

The_Duke

LE
What options do you have? If the RAVC are not accepting re-joiners for what ever reason, then you really are faced with the option of rejoining in a trade that will let you in hoping that you can transfer later or not rejoin at all.

From comments on here from the recruiters, RAVC dog handler is a much sought after trade and they can afford to be very selective. If you don't make the grade for them, would you still want to rejoin the RE?

My issue is not making the grade its not even getting a foot in the door to be given the chance to make the grade. If all else fails it would be a case of re-joining the RE and taking it from there.

I was in the RAF with an ex para ( second stick over Suez ). Last time we met he was running a band of Sea Cadets. Just join something and make the most of it. Good luck.

CFB.

What's with all this dog handler stuff. I was told it was a job for mongs who couldn't soldier years ago!

Case in point. Back in 1973, I was kicking my heels around on rear party in Celle waiting to be 18 so I could join my battalion which was doodling around West Belfast. I got so fed up waiting that when a note went up asking for dog handlers, I thought anything has got to be better than sitting around here and I put my name up.

A couple of days later, I was pulled in and told that if I thought they had spent all that time and effort turning me into a trained and skilled infantryman just for me to bugger off running around with dogs, I had thought wrong. I was going to be an infantryman just like I was trained to be.

I joined my battalion a few weeks later and never looked back. Dogs don't stand their round in the pub anyway.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
What's with all this dog handler stuff. I was told it was a job for mongs who couldn't soldier years ago!

Case in point. Back in 1973, I was kicking my heels around on rear party in Celle waiting to be 18 so I could join my battalion which was doodling around West Belfast. I got so fed up waiting that when a note went up asking for dog handlers, I thought anything has got to be better than sitting around here and I put my name up.

A couple of days later, I was pulled in and told that if I thought they had spent all that time and effort turning me into a trained and skilled infantryman just for me to bugger off running around with dogs, I had thought wrong. I was going to be an infantryman just like I was trained to be.

I joined my battalion a few weeks later and never looked back. Dogs don't stand their round in the pub anyway.

You know it, I know it, the OP wants it.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/kin-ell-been-heavy-in-here-today-so.6271/

That's what it's about.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Meh... everybody wants to be a dog handler.

There's been about 6 of them asking on here recently.

I mentioned recently in connection with this - it's perfectly possible to be a non RAVC dog handler - unit cap badge. But it's not a good bet you'll get it. I did, but I was lucky.

If I wanted to be a dog handler, I reckon my best bet would be monkeys. They have dogs and they aren't falling over themselves to apply for it on account of their dog handlers being a bunch of weirdos.

RMP aren't taking re-joiners either.

I am attempting to join as a dog handler. My previous trade was apparently a "protected" trade in the engineers due to low manning so I could not transfer to the RAVC. when speaking to the ACO they said they have never known of the RAVC to take in re-joiners so are advising me not to even bother attempting to. I'm just in the process of weighing up my options. ideally id like to speak to someone directly involved in the selection and recruitment in the RAVC to ask if re-joining is even an option.

Dog handler seems always to have been a hard trade to get into. Mate of mine from school managed it and said about 1/4 of his course were ex coppers that couldnt get into Police dog sections so went RAVC to get trained up then went back to the police with the dog tickets.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Dog handler seems always to have been a hard trade to get into. Mate of mine from school managed it and said about 1/4 of his course were ex coppers that couldnt get into Police dog sections so went RAVC to get trained up then went back to the police with the dog tickets.

Fat lot of good it would have done them. Maybe... just maybe, someone might have taken them a bit more seriously in their desire to work with dogs, but that's about it.

It's not like being a brickie - I don't think it's possible to be a 'qualified' dog trainer.... as in the people who run classes and such aren't qualified, I don't think.

Certainly your army 'ticket' is only good for the army.

Has anyone on here recently transferred into the RAVC or knows anyone who has. I don't mind going back in to the RE but deep down it's not where I want to be.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Has anyone on here recently transferred into the RAVC or knows anyone who has. I don't mind going back in to the RE but deep down it's not where I want to be.

The chances of changing cap badge are getting slimmer and slimmer so you may not even be given a chance to transfer (especially as a re-joiner). They will look at it as you having already being given a second bite of the cherry as they have let you back in and that's not good enough for you. You may end up like two ex RA blokes that have been through my office. They wanted to transfer but both had their applications rejected so they decided to get out and re-join in the trade they wanted to go. They were refused and told they could not re-join at all.

You can try to go back in the RE and transfer but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think (I know - dangerous) that the RAVC only took something like 10 transferees in last year (obviously open to be corrected there).

Latest Threads