Can I go to University after finishing my training?

Hi guys, just asking this because army website is shite so I’ve got no idea.

So I’m 19, and the clear plan for me is to become an infantry officer in the regulars, but as soon as my role as a platoon commander turns to more admin, I want to start pursuing a career in Law.

I’m hoping to be studying at Exeter or Durham but the only trouble is, I’ve got nine months of doing a job I hate, frankly I’d much rather be doing something much more worth my time in the military. Can I start training as a soldier at Catterick this academic year, then start my studies at university, on the understanding that I’ll join the reserves or something whilst there, and after university I’ll go to Sandhurst.
Cheers!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Join the Army Reserve if you want to do soldier stuff and study for a LLB.

Pagan-Image

Old-Salt
In a word... No.

If you join the army and are being paid by the army, funnily enough they will expect you to work for that money, not sit in Uni.

Also you cant mix officer and solder, its not compatible.

Join the reserves as said above, but be aware that being a Soldier in the reserves could jeopardize your selection for Officer.

In a word... No.

If you join the army and are being paid by the army, funnily enough they will expect you to work for that money, not sit in Uni.

Also you cant mix officer and solder, its not compatible.

Join the reserves as said above, but be aware that being a Soldier in the reserves could jeopardize your selection for Officer.
A - there used to be university cadets who did what you describe, no idea if they still exist.
B - you can do Army “internships”, which are the new name for gap year commissions.
C - I have no idea how being a reservist could “jeopardise” becoming an Officer.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’m hoping to be studying at Exeter or Durham but the only trouble is, I’ve got nine months of doing a job I hate, frankly I’d much rather be doing something much more worth my time in the military. Can I start training as a soldier at Catterick this academic year, then start my studies at university, on the understanding that I’ll join the reserves or something whilst there, and after university I’ll go to Sandhurst.
Cheers!
No, unless it's in the Reserves.

Soldier / officer isn't incompatible. There are plenty who start as a soldier and then commission as an officer. It's even more common if you join the Reserves as a soldier and apply for a commission in the Regulars as an officer, a route which I'd recommend.

Also the Army recruitment chain isn't that rapid, so it's very unlikely you would get through both the recruitment process and training as a regular soldier within 9 months.

So I’m 19, and the clear plan for me is to become an infantry officer in the regulars, but as soon as my role as a platoon commander turns to more admin, I want to start pursuing a career in Law.
I wouldn't be too open about the second part at AOSB. Your role as a platoon commander will turn to admin quite quickly, so it doesn't really make you a great candidate if you are declaring your intent to leave after a few years. Lots of officers do that, but they don't say they will do that.

One of my officers did Troop commander for 2 years then fucked off to uni in Birmingham at the Army expense, although I have no idea why he went or why the army let him

Being a young, fit bloke on a decent wedge, he was having a terrible time beating off the women with a shitty stick.

Pagan-Image

Old-Salt
A - there used to be university cadets who did what you describe, no idea if they still exist.
B - you can do Army “internships”, which are the new name for gap year commissions.
C - I have no idea how being a reservist could “jeopardise” becoming an Officer.
Its possibly the way im reading the OP.

From what I read, he is wanting to Enlist then go to uni, that would be V unusual. If he was going in as Officer then the internship would be an option.

Same with the TA, as i understand it going from being enlisted to officer is more difficult that soing straight to officer.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi guys, just asking this because army website is shite so I’ve got no idea.

Cheers!
With your lack of googlefu, are you sure you want to be a lawyer?

From the Army website:

If you want a career in law then do that. It takes a lot of study, minimum 4 years plus two year training contract for solicitor. Highly competitive and no guarantee of training contract. No contract no qualification student loans wasted. Things are changing this year with Solicitors Qualifying exam but even though it is meant to make things fairer and less closed shop it won't. Something like 70% or more in law are the children of lawyers.

Pagan-Image

Old-Salt
Highly unlikely. It may well in fact strengthen your application.
I'm going from the advice given to my nephew from his local AFCO. They implied that as he was an enlisted soldier in the reserves, his application would be managed as if he was going to Sandhurst from the ranks, instead of a direct applicant.

Do we have legal bods like Tom Cruise in 'A Few Good Men'.

Always begs the question, can you handle the truth..?

One of my officers did Troop commander for 2 years then fucked off to uni in Birmingham at the Army expense, although I have no idea why he went or why the army let him

Being a young, fit bloke on a decent wedge, he was having a terrible time beating off the women with a shitty stick.
Was that when you were at Gutersloh, mid-late 2000's? I seem to remember one of the mess doing that (or having just returned). Initials AB?

I'm going from the advice given to my nephew from his local AFCO. They implied that as he was an enlisted soldier in the reserves, his application would be managed as if he was going to Sandhurst from the ranks, instead of a direct applicant.
Someone somewhere may have got their knickers in a twist.

As a Reserve soldier he could go on to RMAS (short course) while still serving, once through AOSB, and then go back to his Reserve unit as an officer.

There are however plenty of people who have done some time as a Reservist soldier, passed AOSB while serving, and then gone to Regular RMAS instead. Some time in the Reserves is likely to be well-thought of by AOSB (unless his unit thinks he's a bellend obviously). It's a well-trodden path.

Its possibly the way im reading the OP.

From what I read, he is wanting to Enlist then go to uni, that would be V unusual. If he was going in as Officer then the internship would be an option.

Same with the TA, as i understand it going from being enlisted to officer is more difficult that soing straight to officer.

Happy to be proven wrong.
The TA hasn't existed for a decade but since you can become a direct entry potential officer in the Army Reserve it is no more dificult than joining the ranks. We also have plenty of OTC types who join as POs while studying so this would be an obvious option.

The OP's bigger problem is his attitude to 'admin' which will make up a lot of his role from the get go.

A large part of the Platoon Commander's role is admin. It's not just running around with stabby-bangy things, shouting "forward" before retiring to the mess at Badajoz to be comforted by a willing Spanish maiden (sadly).

As a Platoon Commander, you will of course spend time doing the above (maybe less the Spanish element), but there will also be plenty of time spent behind a computer - completing mandatory education courses, writing annual appraisals for your soldiers, planning exercises / ranges etc.

Pagan-Image

Old-Salt
I am happily corrected and i shall let my Nephew know as well.

My Nephews position is that he joined the reserves whilst at Uni studying Physics and Maths, he has wanted to join the regular forces as an Officer ever since he started Cadets. He finished Cadets as a cadet SSGT, and joined the reserves as a soldier when he hit 18 and before starting Uni.

He was then advised that the path he chose has made his officer selection more difficult. If he had gone UOTC or as mentioned previously done a Gap Year commission, he would have a much easier path.

I will happily be corrected.

My Nephews position is that he joined the reserves whilst at Uni studying Physics and Maths, he has wanted to join the regular forces as an Officer ever since he started Cadets.

He was then advised that the path he chose has made his officer selection more difficult.
No such bias against reservists evident when I commissioned / went through RCB (as it was back then; 2005). My Platoon at RMAS had 3 ex-reservist Pte/JNCO, 1 ex reservist Lt and 1 ex regular JNCO.

Latest Threads