Can i get a pad if i am Engaged?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by tmjns796, Nov 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. as in most cases, servicemen/women are posted away from home. As am I, though still in U.K. I have recently gotten Engaged to a woman from my home town and do not intend to be getting married for a few years.
    I was wondering if it was possible to get a house on the patch (pad) if there are any spare? Renting and living out is too expensive on a low band wage, and it is costing a sodding fortune to drive home all the time at weekends.

    sensible replies please :-/

  2. Can you guess why they're called "Married Quarters" ?
  3. No. Why not get married if you want a pad?
  4. Not quite correct.

    Can you guess why they're called "Service Families Accommodation"?
  5. Because the Army lets in queers?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sorry, MQ's are in such short supply that you won't even be considered.
  7. Never mind the nay-sayers mate. You're in the Army. You can have what you want. All you have to do is ask.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Should have read the recent 'Don't ask, don't tell' can get SFA if in a same sex 'Civil partnership'.

    But they're not married you say?...yep, that's right, but you're homophobic if you say anything.....

    Whaddya mean that don't seem fair?

    Quick simple answer. Get married.

  9. Oh do **** off!!!!!!
  10. Brotherton Lad

    Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

    To get a quarter you must be either married or in a civil partnership, or have children from a former relationship where you are the prime carer (or whatever custody is called these days). Occasionally spare quarters (a rare commodity these days) are used as overspill mess accommodation.

    If you want one, get married.
  11. Careful now, not too many negative replies or "David Cameron" will come along and tell you not to do it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Er, isn't that a tad discriminatory of you???

    ...They lets poofs, homos, munchers, nudgers and fudge packer in too nowadays!

    Anyway, back to the thread, I have heard of a couple of incidents where engaged couples had SFA but very rare.
  13. Brotherton Lad

    Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

    It would be more accurate to say they've always been let in. Nowadays, though, they aren't kicked out.

    An engagement doesn't have the same legal force or entitlement as a marriage or civil partnership.

    I imagine if engaged couples have had a quarter there must have been compassionate reasons (and spare availability) to allow it.
  14. "Can I get a pad if I'm engaged?"

    Yes, probably, if you're sufficiently good-looking and don't tell her you're engaged.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Brotherton Lad

    Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

    I so want to press the like button, flaggie, but I'm not going to. Sorry.
    • Like Like x 1