Can i do more?

Hi Guys,

I was deferred for asthma treatment 4 years ago and am now eligible again, I have let myself go massively (fitness wise) as I kind of went off the army and just went to work on civvi street.

I did a fitness test which was abysmal:
13:34 - 1.5 mile
14 - Press Ups (2 Min)
34 - Sit ups (2 Min)

I am running 3 times a week and going to the gym 3 times a week. ill be investing in a speed chute and starting to add weight to my runs along with doing 2 min max press ups and sit ups every night of the week apart from Sundays which is a complete rest day.

Can anyone add to my routine even if it means getting rid of something I do at the moment to try it.

I am looking to join the Para's so I'll be training for 12 months before applying and while my application is being processed ill ramp up my intensity.

P.S. sorry if this has been asked I cant find anything really

Last edited:
I've been down at 9 minute mark before while I was boxing and I push myself I was more thinking is there any tricks of the trade like routines and stuff I can do to increase speed and endurance

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I've been down at 9 minute mark before while I was boxing and I push myself I was more thinking is there any tricks of the trade like routines and stuff I can do to increase speed and endurance
There's no tricks, you don't need magic shakes, just excercise and a good diet.

Hi Guys,

I was deferred for asthma treatment 4 years ago and am now eligible again, I have let myself go massively (fitness wise) as I kind of went off the army and just went to work on civvi street.

14 - Press Ups (2 Min)
34 - Sit ups (2 Min)

I am running 3 times a week and going to the gym 3 times a week. ill be investing in a speed chute and starting to add weight to my runs along with doing 2 min max press ups and sit ups every night of the week apart from Sundays which is a complete rest day.

Can anyone add to my routine even if it means getting rid of something I do at the moment to try it.

I am looking to join the Para's so I'll be training for 12 months before applying and while my application is being processed ill ramp up my intensity.

Don't fret about it too much. 12 months is a good amount of time so you've got time to enjoy the training.

Just dedicate an hour a day to it and find things to do that you like. Keeping in mind what's going to be asked of you later.

Try to find some military style training. Britmilfit or something run by ex mil.

See if you can find some group with an interest in tough mudder or similar.

Find some circuit training with an instructor that you like.

Nothing stopping you taking up boxing again. I think @thegimp did, partly for the associated fizz.

Running clubs and or parkrun would be good.

Have fun.

Hi Guys,

14 - Press Ups (2 Min)
34 - Sit ups (2 Min)

Just get yourself prepared for PRAC download the fitness prog here.

Soldier recruiting - British Army Website

@Offendi so just keep dedicated and mix it up ill be ok
The point is that people get all super excited and vow to train ten times a day and do it for two weeks. See it here a couple of times a month. Same reason gyms are full all January and dead feb.

The army doesn't need athletes for the start of training and you have lots of time, so enjoy it and stick with it.

Just determination and pushing myself I've dropped my time from 400m warm up and 1.5 mile in 13:34 to 800m warm up under 5 min and 1.5 mile in 12:22, I'm going to incorporate hill sprints and some longer runs i.e 3,6,12 milers, also doing the 100 press up and 200 sit up challenge to build strength. I should make plenty of improvement with correct diet and fluids. Thank you everyone I have learned a few things especially the undulated ground (that would've killed me if it'd been dropped on me at selection.

Latest Threads