Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I do boxing as an officer

morsk

LE
Absolutely.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Milling was compulsory in RoCo.

I was then asked to join the RMAS boxing squad.

I declined, not wanting to spoil these film star good looks :)

Instead I elected to join the judo squad.

The head gym queen wasn’t too happy.
When my Old Man joined the Army in 1968, Milling was part of his Basic Training, (he wasn't in the Paras) I'm not sure when Milling was abolished though.

When we were in Germany back in the early 80's l remember he told me he had 6 Boxing Matches.....that surprised me as he had virtually no interest in Boxing, (drunken brawling was more his style).

Made a few gumshields for boxing during my time.

Not everyone was a willing volunteer.
Was quite happy to sign them unfit for boxing.
That was the route I took, I interviewed everyone who was a volunteer, without making my position obvious, but reminded them that when having their medical examination they could speak to the doctor who would deem them unfit to box.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
That was the route I took, I interviewed everyone who was a volunteer, without making my position obvious, but reminded them that when having their medical examination they could speak to the doctor who would deem them unfit to box.

When we were doing the "run ups" (pre medical stuff - height weight , bp etc) we'd casually question them on wanting to take part or not, we'd find more would admit it to us medics rather than the MO.
We had a few people who'd started out keen but couldn't find a way out, quick chat with MO, no longer fit to box. No reasons given to the unit

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
While I was with

When we were doing the "run ups" (pre medical stuff - height weight , bp etc) we'd casually question them on wanting to take part or not, we'd find more would admit it to us medics rather than the MO.
We had a few people who'd started out keen but couldn't find a way out, quick chat with MO, no longer fit to box. No reasons given to the unit

I think it was wasn't often made clear that it wasn't compulsory, especially when it was Apprentices.

And before accused of being anti-boxing, am not. I just believe it should be volunteer only.

My record in the ring is 100% (losses)

chimera

LE
Back on thread - the answer is yes you can, but as boxing teams (even at unit level) will invariably train full time in the run up to an event, this will start to impact on your ability to do your job. You might get away with it as a YO for a season, but unless you are genuinely in the "elite" category, it will become difficult to balance being a full time sportsman with being an Army officer.

I echo many of the comments above, however, that as a competent boxer in your unit, and if you also become involved in the organisation and administration of your unit team, you will gain immense kudos.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
We had an officer take part with the LI, his opponent was a man with no boxing skill or technique whatsoever, windmilling would have been an improvement on his 'style' that can be best described as random thrashing about.
IIRC the officer won, not by superior skill, but by the lad he was against dislocating his own shoulder with a fantastic move that didn't connect with anything.

Had a former platoon commander that had boxed at RMAS and also prior to that. He was very proficient in the ring at the annual Xmas scale A inter company boxing event.

First boxing bout of mine.
Did the training, the sparring etc, thought I was the Canis Testes.

First bout, won hands down, absolutely demolished the opponent.
I am Rocky Marciano reborn.. Got cocky as feck.

2nd bout.. My first punch, was met by 3 of my opponents straight in the face, it was like trying to fight a chainsaw, for every blow I even thought about throwing he'd hit me with just about every combination going, he beat 7 shades of shit out of me.

Ref stopped the bout around a minute into the 3rd round.
What I didn't know was the little bastard had been boxing from the age of 8, his dad boxed, as did all his brothers and he was looking at a place in the Welsh boxing team.

I couldn't see much until the swelling went down.

Back on thread - the answer is yes you can, but as boxing teams (even at unit level) will invariably train full time in the run up to an event, this will start to impact on your ability to do your job. You might get away with it as a YO for a season, but unless you are genuinely in the "elite" category, it will become difficult to balance being a full time sportsman with being an Army officer.

I echo many of the comments above, however, that as a competent boxer in your unit, and if you also become involved in the organisation and administration of your unit team, you will gain immense kudos.

I agree up to a point.

However I’ve posted before that I’m strongly opposed to the ‘professional sportsman’ clique in the Army.

There was a soldier in my troop who couldn’t accompany us on our FI tour because he was a boxer.

One of the members of my platoon at RMAS was held back from an FI tour because he was dicked to manage his battalion boxing team.

Same with other sports.

It wouldn’t be so bad if we had all been at full strength, but I was angry that the other blokes had to cover their absence, often losing out on their own chance at sports afternoons etc.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
First boxing bout of mine.
Did the training, the sparring etc, thought I was the Canis Testes.

First bout, won hands down, absolutely demolished the opponent.
I am Rocky Marciano reborn.. Got cocky as feck.

2nd bout.. My first punch, was met by 3 of my opponents straight in the face, it was like trying to fight a chainsaw, for every blow I even thought about throwing he'd hit me with just about every combination going, he beat 7 shades of shit out of me.

Ref stopped the bout around a minute into the 3rd round.
What I didn't know was the little bastard had been boxing from the age of 8, his dad boxed, as did all his brothers and he was looking at a place in the Welsh boxing team.

I couldn't see much until the swelling went down.

I think most Boxers think they are hard/gifted.....and then they get creamed by someone better.

Was it 3 X 3 Minute Rounds?

I think most Boxers think they are hard/gifted.....and then they get creamed by someone better.

I think it may have been.
It was 30 odd years ago now. But that particular event is still pretty clear.

I still remember looking in the mirror and thinking

"I look like John Merrick"

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
I agree up to a point.

However I’ve posted before that I’m strongly opposed to the ‘professional sportsman’ clique in the Army.

There was a soldier in my troop who couldn’t accompany us on our FI tour because he was a boxer.

One of the members of my platoon at RMAS was held back from an FI tour because he was dicked to manage his battalion boxing team.

Same with other sports.

It wouldn’t be so bad if we had all been at full strength, but I was angry that the other blokes had to cover their absence, often losing out on their own chance at sports afternoons etc.

If Dad was still alive he would have agreed with everything you have written.

For the record he was a keen Rugby Player but for him Soldiering always came first.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

"Do you want to box" is a standard question on the boxing medical, I assume for that reason.

In answer to the thread, you can box and there's at least one CO out there who's extremely handy in the ring.

I missed out on a Kenya tour and also was removed from an Army Diving Course to box so it can be a bit of a pain in the arsse even as an OR.

I was even asked to stay on and live in the block etc for a month after I was due to leave the army to box in an upcoming tournament which I declined strangely enough.

I agree up to a point.

Same with other sports.

I agree, but it works both ways.

I ended up on the Regimental Ski Team, and then long time Nordic & Alpine Instructor, purely by reading a bit of paper on the Orders Board that everyone else walked past every single morning. Decided it sounded interesting and thought I'd give it a go.

The opportunity was there was every single bloke at the unit - I took it, they didn't, boo hoo, tough bananas.

To be fair, I was at a REME Bn, so one more person missing from a unit where dreams and careers go to die wasn't going to affect anyone's operational ability, and I do get your point, but don't blame the player if it's the game at fault.

I'd also argue that elite sportspeople going through the services can have knock on effects for other stuff which is positive. It might not seem that way all the time.

I missed out on a Kenya tour and also was removed from an Army Diving Course to box so it can be a bit of a pain in the arsse even as an OR.

I was even asked to stay on and live in the block etc for a month after I was due to leave the army to box in an upcoming tournament which I declined strangely enough.

Look in the bright side.

Missing that Sqn Kenya tour reduced your chances of catching bad AIDS... :)

Arse Gravy

War Hero

I never ever had any illusions that I was a good boxer, I knew I was shite and never boxed again. It was the sticking the cotton buds up my shonk trying to clear it and the pain that followed that made my mind up.

I agree, but it works both ways.

I ended up on the Regimental Ski Team, and then long time Nordic & Alpine Instructor, purely by reading a bit of paper on the Orders Board that everyone else walked past every single morning. Decided it sounded interesting and thought I'd give it a go.

The opportunity was there was every single bloke at the unit - I took it, they didn't, boo hoo, tough bananas.

To be fair, I was at a REME Bn, so one more person missing from a unit where dreams and careers go to die wasn't going to affect anyone's operational ability, and I do get your point, but don't blame the player if it's the game at fault.

I'd also argue that elite sportspeople going through the services can have knock on effects for other stuff which is positive. It might not seem that way all the time.

Anything to avoid the pink biscuits minefield is a win :)

We did have a couple of Olympic athletes (one was held on strength as a Sqn Ops Officer, the other was a LCpl in my troop).

The other problem for me though is that sports at a regimental level is very unforgiving. One of the sergeants in my troop was a regimental football player in the ‘packed’ sapper football regiment (28 Amph Engr). His football career came to an end with a ****** knee. He’d missed out on so many courses as a footballer he had no chance of further promotion and rose no further than Officers’ Mess Sergeant.

It might be attractive to a young soldier to be seduced away from the tank park by a tracksuit and the promise of no duties, but I’m not sure it’s at all fair on the lad’s (lass’) future.

Latest Threads