Can I check the back of your ID card Sir?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by eye_spy, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can not believe this farcical practice is starting up again.

As I cycled into camp this morning, in uniform I might add, I exchanged pleasentries with the young R Sigs girl on the gate whilst showing her my ID Card. At this point, she then asked to check the back of the ID Card. :frustrated:

Now she has obviously been told to do this, but really what is the fecking point. I am assuming it is to check for forged ID cards. If I was going to forge an ID Card, surely I am going to do the back of it as well as the front :roll:

Can anyone educate me as to why this pointless exercise is practiced? I remember there was a spate of it in the early 90's with rumours the RMP were going around with tigerwatch stickers on the back of their cards to catch out the poor feckers on the gate. :x :x :x :x
  2. Did it slow you down - make you late - offend you - annoy you?

And anyone can buy a convincing kit these days so did it really matter that you were in uniform?

I bet, if she hadn't have asked to see your ID you'd have been on here moaning the youth of today?

3. isnt it a more polite way of saying "look mush, you need to remove it from the plastic cover so i can tell if its real"

4. Lets see, Daily Shitloid doing an expose on how crap security is at military bases gets waved through on a dodgy ID card or Lassie doing her job stops said scumbag reporter from getting through the gate.

I know which I would prefer. Stop whining and get a grip
  5. Perhaps she fancies you and wanted to try and engage you in conversation.
  6. Its one of the perks of stagging on.
  7. :lol: :lol:
    Should have expected some flak I suppose.

Firstly, no it didn't make me late. I was already in work, just going from one camp to another, was actually mega early for a change. I usually am very polite with the guys on the gate, we have all been there and it's a thankless task. I was still polite to the girl this morning, as I said, I don't think its her fault, she has obviously been told to do it.

Second point, my ID card is not on display in my wallet, so I don't inform all and sundry that I am a serving soldier whenever I take my wallet out (Granted thats not very often). As such it is alweays taken out of my wallet.

I just think it is a pointless exercise, and yes it does annoy me.
  8. She's only human (And was wearing glasses 8O )
  9. When you are cycling in uniform?
  10. She did it off her own bat or has she been told to check, if the former fine if the latter even better, she's the guard. She's doing her job, you should know that.
  11. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Really thick heavy duty ones? :D
  12. You know me?
  13. Nothing wrong with thick birds
  14. There nothing worse than getting an uptight fecker coming through the gate, looking at you like you just told him you did his granny up the arrse because you ask to see his / her ID.

It a forces unit. You have and always will have to get your ID out. Its not going to change from day to day, it happens every day.

What would have happened if said girly waved you though and was spotted by RSM/ prov / guard commander (delete as applicable)? She would have been reamed a new one.

She was doing her job which in case you dont know, is to keep you lot safe! Get over it, and get yer feckin ID out......Sir! :wink:
  15. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Nor indeed heavy duty ones ;)

As I understand it a common way of faking IDs is to get a photo of one (i.e. someone snaps you on high zoom while you've got your lanyard around your neck), yet another reason for removing passes when off-site. Obviously this would only get the potential dodgy geezer the details of the front of your card. They're less likely to have a good copy of the rear and, based on that logic, checking the back is a more effective way of identifying fake IDs.

No, it's not foolproof.