Can I be ordered to buy kit that is listed as uniform by RSM

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by oldcolt, Mar 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A quick query. Our SO'd for dress issued by our RSM state we must wear rank slides. However, we have been told that these are not issued and must be purchased (I'm in the TA). It maty seem petty, but surely if something is marked up as part of our uniform it should be standard issue; can I be compelled to buy this and is this the thin end of a wedge?
    Thanks

2. Rank slides are issue at our unit, speak to SQMS/CQMS.

3. Check your Corps/Regiment's dress policy (available on ArmyNet) for dress reg's. Strictly speaking you cannot be 'ordered' to purchase items, however it tends to lead to a quieter life if you conform! When in Rome........!

4. Rank slides are issue for CS95 so get your Q man to order them

5. thanks guys; youve pretty much confirmed what I thought. It just rankles that we are 'expected' to buy these things. :x I might hold out for a bit, just for the hell of it! :twisted:

6. Unless you are a private/siggy/crafty ie not an jnco or above I can't imagine why you would refuse to wear your rank on the basis that you have to pay for the rank slides. Seems like a bit of an own goal

"Cpl Smithers why aren't you wearing your lance jack tapes ???"
    "Shan't sir, its a diabolical liberty expecting me to pay them !!"

"No problem sig Smithers, same time next week ?"

7. We have to buy them too. Ask your Q if he's got any old ones knocking about that people have left on their kit when they've handed it in after leaving or something nlike that...
    YD

8. LOL I agree, but as a old sweat returning to re-do basic, I don't think ANY recruit should have to pay for their own kit, especially a rank slide that says you are a basic Tom!

9. I agree the tom ones are cack and a waste of money.

10. What does it have on it then ??

11. Thats the stupid bit... nothing, bar the regimental cap badge! Which, for some regiments causes all sorts of confusion and leads to privates being saluted as officers buy those poor souls who have anything less but bionic vision at any given distance

12. Tell the RSM to fcuk off and mind his own businessl

13. We used to have a saying back in the dark days - they cant make you buy something, but they can make you wish you had

14. always be the "Man at Q & M's" i have refused to buy stuff before, thye don't like it but if they want you to have then they should provide it.

15. You could make a suggestion (through your chain of command of course) that items like this are paid for out of PRI funds.

Might go down like a lead balloon but worth a try perhaps.