Can I be a Para

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by canuck123, Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My names canuck123. I live in Toronto, Canada. My fathers from the UK(Scotland) I want to join the Parachute Regiment. Is it possible, or do you have to be born In the UK to be one?

2. Should be able to, Canada is part of the commonwealth.

3. There'll probably be someone along shortly who's done it and knows the answer but, if you haven't already found it, you probably want a look here.

I doubt you'll have a problem on the basis of citizenship - good luck!

Don

4. When I went through Pirbright there was a Canadian there. Lucky sod got to shag the only decent bird there! The rest were bloody munters! Take it the Canadian Military does'nt entertain you then?

6. Only if you can conclusively prove that you have no french Canadian ancestors - that would certainly exclude you from any fighting force.

That aside you should have no problems. Go on the Para website and email the recruiting team directly.

7. Also, come with an open mind, if you dont make Para, then there is still other avenues you could go down as the British Army has massive job oppertunities.

Good luck

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My first Pln Cdr in Bn was a canuck on a SSC. That was 1982 but its not a problem, I can see why he wants to try as CF disbanded their Paras over problems with Somalians!

9. LOL i have absolutely no French in me what so ever. Im pretty sure my moms family came from England a long time ago, my dads from Glasgow. No he ddint serve he came to Canada when he was 9. Also the CF has no airborne regiment. But i really would love to be a Para.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If the Paras arent interested then the Rifles will offer a widechoice of infantry roles especially 1st and 5th Bn s

11. i have a question about the jumping. What does it feel like. Do you "lose yor stomach".

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Just remember beasting of Somalis now takes place in Shepherd Bush and notoutside Mogadishu!
    Re jumping, try a sports jump to see if its your thing, rather find out before you turned up than were dissapointed after all that training!

13. Get yourself in before you worry about parachuting.

14. But why would you want to jump out of a plane????? Crabair will let you out when they land.

15. as you have managed to operate a computer i fear they may reject you on inteligance grounds