Can I apply for a replacement set of my great uncle's medals?

ugly

LE
If you are lucky and they haven't been issued do you qualify as nearest next of kin?

If you are lucky and they haven't been issued do you qualify as nearest next of kin?
I don't, but my dad does. Jack was married but had no children. My grandfather was his elder brother, and my dad is his eldest son. There are some cousins from their younger sister (my great aunt) but all younger than my old man.

Last edited:
Doing some research on Ancestry and found this. Must've been posted by my Great Grandmother. Brought a lump to my throat.

31031_A100123-01076.jpg

ugly

LE
I don't, but my dad does. Jack was married but had no children. My grandfather was his elder brother, and my dad is his eldest son. There are some cousins from their younger sister (my great aunt) but all younger than my old man.
Similar problem here, I have wifes family medals and to get them cased I would like the records. I have badgered the BiL (older) to write for them but no joy yet!

Similar problem here, I have wifes family medals and to get them cased I would like the records. I have badgered the BiL (older) to write for them but no joy yet!
If you write a formal letter of request for the medals then put under next of kins for signature should do it. RAF Innsbrook, Gloucestershire rings a bell for medal enquiries.

If you write a formal letter of request for the medals then put under next of kins for signature should do it. RAF Innsbrook, Gloucestershire rings a bell for medal enquiries.
Sent off the form yesterday mate. Put my dad down as next of kin. We'll see what comes back!

ugly

LE
No its a similar not identical problem, we have lots of medals we just need to be sure that they were awarded to him, WW1 is simple but the WW2 ones need attributing, best way is with the deceased's service records which as an officer aren't on public release and need the NoK to write and ask for!

That was what Rudyard Kipling great poet and favourite of the elite was constantly asking of the Generals and War Office after the loss of his son 2/Lt Jack Kipling Irish Guards who was lost at Loos in 1915.
Very poignant use of that line.
Ain't it? Although the poem was inspired by the loss of his son it was first published in 1916 as a prelude to his book about Jutland - Sea Warfare.

“Have you news of my boy Jack?”
Not this tide.
“When d’you think that he’ll come back?”
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Has any one else had word of him?”
Not this tide.
For what is sunk will hardly swim,
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?”
None this tide,
Nor any tide,
Except he did not shame his kind —
Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.

Then hold your head up all the more,
This tide,
And every tide;
Because he was the son you bore,
And gave to that wind blowing and that tide!

Hi all. Had a bit of a breakthrough! These came in the post this morning! As I suspected his campaign and war medals were never issued. I also had a very detailed letter from the Naval Honours and Awards Branch confirming the award of his DSO, DSC and Bar, and with reference numbers for the citations which are held at the PRO. Sadly it also stated that they were presented to his widow at Buckingham Palace in October 1942 so no chance of getting replacements.

_20190321_184244.JPG

Hi all. Had a bit of a breakthrough! These came in the post this morning! As I suspected his campaign and war medals were never issued. I also had a very detailed letter from the Naval Honours and Awards Branch confirming the award of his DSO, DSC and Bar, and with reference numbers for the citations which are held at the PRO. Sadly it also stated that they were presented to his widow at Buckingham Palace in October 1942 so no chance of getting replacements.

View attachment 383649
Great result! It's probably been mentioned above, but his Gallantry medals (unless they've been thrown away or lost) will have either passed through an auction house or in a museum, and therefore can generally be tracked. They'll be people on here who could help search various forums and data bases, so you might find out where they might be.

@brewmeister - a nice result, chap. Shame about the DSO DSC* combo-still, nowt to be done about that. The DSO and DSC can be bought, depending how deep your pockets are! Fortunately both the DSO and DSC (at that time) were issued unnamed, though the DSC was dated (year of issue) from 1941.

ugly

LE

View attachment 383649
Well repros now would make a nice set as the recently issued set will be recently minted and look as genuine!l

Does the medal office keep stock of older medals, or are they minted on demand. I can imagine the WW2 campaign medals are reasonably common, but there must be an occasional requirement to issue some pretty obscure medals.

Really pleased to see @brewmeister's perseverance pay off.