Can good come from evil?

What good can come from evil?

Does evil have a purpose, does it inspire goodness in retaliation?

Do what we survive really make us stronger?

Or does evil corrupt and weaken us?

I believe that the greater the evil the greater we inspire to be good and to eradicate the effects of evil amongst us.

Evil corrupts and weakens those who want to be corrupted, and those who have faced true evil are the stronger from it.

Just as I thought from the other post.......

you God squad, a dribbling loon or what?

To the hole...

Oh, and I think we'd 'aspire' to be good, not 'inspire' in case you feel like posting this shite on another website.

WildernessPete said:

I believe that the greater the evil the greater we inspire to be good and to eradicate the effects of evil amongst us.

Evil corrupts and weakens those who want to be corrupted, and those who have faced true evil are the stronger from it.

Yup, a loon.....take his gongs now, and send him off clockwise in the Large Hadron Collider!

stickybomb said:
To the hole...

Oh, and I think we'd 'aspire' to be good, not 'inspire' in case you feel like posting this shite on another website.
yup we would aspire, but goodness should inspire. :eek:

God squad, definitely no way, atheist through and through, just like to "debate and discuss".

Got a good thread on the devil if you prefer.

i think wilderness pete spent too much time in the wilderness.

OK, Wilderness Pete, I'll bite. Folks are good for exactly the same reason as they're evil.

MsG

WildernessPete said:
ub3rb0wl said:
i think wilderness pete spent too much time in the wilderness.
Nope 2 more years to go, then off to my 400 acres in Nova Scotia, pure wilderness. and heaven. 8)
...and hopefully no internet connection. Dullard.

Can good come from evil? Depends. I wouldn't rely on it happening, though.

Just as one illustration, we had an incident in Bosnia where a heavily pregnant woman was hit by shrapnel near our patrol. We gave the best medical attention we could until a local doctor appeared on the scene and saved both mother and child. His professional opinion was that the mother was so weak from exhaustion and malnutrition that she'd likely have miscarried if she hadn't had the improvised C-section.

2 years or so ago, one of the lads I attended that with locked himself in his garage and left the engine running. He didn't leave a note but he did leave a wife and 3 kids.

Good comes from evil, yes. But so does evil of the worst kind.

Can good come from Evil?

My son is testament to that, his mum is an evil bitch

But I'm not bitter........

Of course it can!! Have you not seen Star Wars??

The evil Darth ends up saving his son for the greater good :)

In some cases good can come from evil.

For example the Nazi regime conducted medical experiments on prisoners. These experiements were carried out in a truely evil manner. However, the medical knowldge gained could of course be put to good use.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm going to bite.

WildernessPete said:
If you take the 'none-sky-fairy' viewpoint, then 'good' and 'evil' are only relevant in terms of 'good for humanity/individual' or 'bad' for them/he/she.

So, in those terms, good can indeed come from evil. People do 'evil' deeds to each other, and they are brought to book. Ask me to cite a specific example of good coming from evil and I'm at a loss. Mostly, from evil we get hatred, guilt, anger, laws, revenge or various combinations thereof. Does good stem from evils done? Rarely IMHO. What most often happens is that 'good' people rally round and assist.

Good and evil are simply human constructs that describe human deeds. In non-human nature/life, there is no good and there is no evil - there is only survival.

If one takes the biblical view, then good and evil are only what a bloke in a dress with a penchant for playing inapropriately with young boys says they are.

WildernessPete said:
Evil has no purpose. PEOPLE may have a purpose in doing evil, though it might be considered to be subjective, like beauty. One's man's evil is another's righteous deed. Blowing up Omagh is, in the eyes of some, a righteous deed in the cause of 'freedom'. The parents and families of those innocents who were slaughtered and anyone else looking in from the outside feel very differently.

WildernessPete said:
Not always. It's only mentally that we can grow stronger from an experience, but often as not, our bodies are weakened. Sometimes, depending on the nature of the experience, our minds are altered and seem weaker also, though we are hardened to the experience encountered.

WildernessPete said:
No, it is a by-product of weakness or corruption. Some might say that temptation weakens and corrupts us, maybe to do evil. In truth, temptation to evil or corruption only succeeds with the weak and the morally questionable. Evil deeds may weaken us, but only insofar is being tired weakens us. In the face of great evil, our spirit and resolve to fight may weaken, but then again, it may also harden our spirits to such a degree that we become capable of taking on and defeating doers of evil against considerable odds.

WildernessPete said:
Not necessarily. The greater the number of people adversely affected by an act of evil, or the greater the evil inflicted, the more people take exception and the more people who will act to put an end to it. As often as not, a great evil is ignored by the great many simply because its effects are not felt. When the effect is felt, people stand up and fight it, or run away.

WildernessPete said:
See above.

Biped said:
I'm going to bite.

WildernessPete said:
If you take the 'none-sky-fairy' viewpoint, then 'good' and 'evil' are only relevant in terms of 'good for humanity/individual' or 'bad' for them/he/she.

So, in those terms, good can indeed come from evil. People do 'evil' deeds to each other, and they are brought to book. Ask me to cite a specific example of good coming from evil and I'm at a loss. Mostly, from evil we get hatred, guilt, anger, laws, revenge or various combinations thereof. Does good stem from evils done? Rarely IMHO. What most often happens is that 'good' people rally round and assist.

Good and evil are simply human constructs that describe human deeds. In non-human nature/life, there is no good and there is no evil - there is only survival.

If one takes the biblical view, then good and evil are only what a bloke in a dress with a penchant for playing inapropriately with young boys says they are.

WildernessPete said:
Evil has no purpose. PEOPLE may have a purpose in doing evil, though it might be considered to be subjective, like beauty. One's man's evil is another's righteous deed. Blowing up Omagh is, in the eyes of some, a righteous deed in the cause of 'freedom'. The parents and families of those innocents who were slaughtered and anyone else looking in from the outside feel very differently.

WildernessPete said:
Not always. It's only mentally that we can grow stronger from an experience, but often as not, our bodies are weakened. Sometimes, depending on the nature of the experience, our minds are altered and seem weaker also, though we are hardened to the experience encountered.

WildernessPete said:
No, it is a by-product of weakness or corruption. Some might say that temptation weakens and corrupts us, maybe to do evil. In truth, temptation to evil or corruption only succeeds with the weak and the morally questionable. Evil deeds may weaken us, but only insofar is being tired weakens us. In the face of great evil, our spirit and resolve to fight may weaken, but then again, it may also harden our spirits to such a degree that we become capable of taking on and defeating doers of evil against considerable odds.

WildernessPete said:
Not necessarily. The greater the number of people adversely affected by an act of evil, or the greater the evil inflicted, the more people take exception and the more people who will act to put an end to it. As often as not, a great evil is ignored by the great many simply because its effects are not felt. When the effect is felt, people stand up and fight it, or run away.

WildernessPete said:
See above.
Hmmmmmm.....the force is strong in this one ;)

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
WildernessPete said:

Have you got a warrant?

If A) No. Then fuck off

If B) Yes. I want me brief

My Mum had me and she's as evil as it gets while I'm as good as it gets. She pushed me Uncle into a grave once.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke The Intelligence Cell 2
S Sappers 199
dogmonkey Classified Ads 0