Can army bursars change their minds?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by splodgecat, Jan 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I'm an army bursar and i'm down to go to RMAS in the september intake. My problem is, I'm not sure if its what i want etc etc. I'm not going to give a bloody essay on my reasons etc. What i want to know is is it possible to simply pay the money back and be done with the Army? I'm aware I'd probably get an angry letter but surely I still have the choice? I don't want everyone to start trying to convince me to do it, I'm fully aware of all the many benefits of RMAS and the Army but I'd just like to know if i can still change my mind.

Cheers

2. You might get an angry letter, might you? Just stand by for the incoming on here.

3. Yeah I'm sure it's possible. God knows how you've got enough money to pay it back though!

4. yes you can. and you'll probably get away with paying only a proportion of it back. A friend of mine decided the army wasn't for him and ended up paying only about £3k of £20k+ of cadetship back. so, you've had a nice cheap uni at taxpayer's expense!

5. Your best approach is to speak to the Officer Candidate Administration Cell at RMAS. They will tell you what you have to do. It is far better to tell them now, and arrange a payback system than feel under some sort of obligation to turn up and waste people's time and effort in September.

I hope you find success in whatever it is you are going to do.

6. I've got a mate , he decided he would rather drag telegraph poles round lympstone than sandhurst. I think he had to pay it all back.

7. Rock up on the first day wearing a "not in my name" tee shirt, without anything on the kit list and on the first parade, light up a big fat spliff. Apparently they send you to some MotorCycle Training Centre or something for eight weeks and then you get out.

Do you have to pay it back if you fail?

8. I know of a couple of bursars who just kept deferring entry to RMAS with a "Not this term, thanks", and kept their interest-free loan for a couple of years before paying it back. Massively irritates me, who was refused a bursary every year at university.

9. Do Army bursars have minds to change?

10. You probably had doubts about it before you got the money and you've known it all along and yet still taken the money. The sad thing is someone else who genuinely wanted a commisssion in the Army has had to go without a grant, Edited by Mod.

Don't go to RMAS, you'll be doing the Army a favour.

11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Gentlemen, this is a legitimate question which deserves a straight answer.

The answer is yes, you can decide not to take your place at RMAS in which case you will have to pay back some, or all, of the money that you have received. I would strongly advise you to talk the whole issue through - informally - with someone whose opinion you trust before you take this step, however. The Army obviously like the cut of your jib or they would not have given you a bursary, and you might be turning your back on a career which would have suited you. At the end of the day, it is your decision and you have to make your mind up about what you want to do with your life, and the Army really isn't for the faint-hearted.

12. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just in case I've pissed anyone off (say, perhaps, BISCUITS) I just want to point out that at no point have I said I'm not taking up my Sandhurst place. There was no need for the bollocking. Did you want a commission and get turned down, is that why ur so angry? Or do you need the money for anger management classes? None of my business so my reasons are none of yours either.

I simply wanted clarification of my situation and the opportunities open to me. Everyone else, thank you for your advice and I can assure you that when I come to the decision it will be after much careful thought and deliberation.

13. Bloody lazy f**king Bursars...Ahhhh I hate them sooo much. CUOTC is supposed to be full of them but all they do is rowing (couple of exceptions who are top guys). They only come to Annual Camp coz they are forced and expect Cmd appointments, and they tell you how much fun they have had all year on the army's cash.

I am sorry must not kill, must not kill.. Ah thats better :)

14. Splodgecat don't be too clever having a go at Biscuit when in fact you have done quite well for advice here. Out of 13 replies 10 have been positive, 1 inert and fukc knows what Steptoe's been smoking.

For my two pennies sort your life out and make a decision. Get used to making decisions and seeing them through. It is indecisiveness that gets up the nose of people like Biscuits (and me) so don't mong that they are going to ask for their money back. If you had paid up front and the client changed their mind would you not want it back? You don't need to seek advice on this. If you can't make a decision on this one then you will not make a decisive Officer, so there is your answer.

Have a happy life.

Cheers

Birdie
    Your sensitive new age Infantryperson.

15. I was in a similar situation, splodgecat. Approaching the end of my time at uni, I'd achieved a mediocre degree, become utterly disenchanted with the UOTC, enjoyed a year's bohemian living abroad as a part of my course and was wondering whether a life of discipline and physical exercise was actually for me.

I decided to stick with it and am very glad I did so. RMAS was more of a life-forming experience than uni could ever have been and the idea of now having to look back at the chance to do something truly challenging and not taking it... I know I would have always regretted it.

IF