Can anyone remember the correct name for the firing device in the rapid cratering kit

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ugly, Jun 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was looking through my bits to see if I still had one, I didnt sadly, and I realised I couldnt recall the name. It was the little green one with the winder. I remember the Exploder Dynamo Condensor (temp brought back out in 84 when the Shrike accidentally self destructed on the roof of a dems land rover at Suffield). It wasnt exploder dynamo lightweight was it?
    If it was does anyone have one?
    Shrike came back into service quite quickly and we had them in the golf towers for all the PJADS in the dannert wire. Oh those were the days!

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whilst I am reminiscing I was looking for ideas for a rather unique doorbell. I have ideas but none that the LHB will let me install!

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was thinking more exploding style doorbell

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

4. RCK's no longer come with a firing device, its either on safety fuze, or Electrical using either, Shrike, DRFD, or BIRIS!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheers novelty doorbell search continues, the dynamo has gone for good or just from the RCK?

6. I don't think there was any other official exploder except for the EDC until the Shrike appeared..

Are you thinking about the exploder that was issued with one of the rapid cratering kits..? Green plastic with winder - silver metal arm and black plastic knob..

Like the Claymore gripper - you weren't supposed to use it with anything else..

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That's it! Any about?

8. I went through training in 1987 (cue the name calling, sprog etc) and I don' recall any such thing back then. I was also a phase 2 instructor and there definitely was no such thing in the late 90s!

I am vaguely aware of the devise you are talking about, but I may have seen it in a museum! :)

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Look blokes who joined before me are still serving albeit not many and yes I am an old bastard!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stop picking on Ugly, he may be old but not that old!

11. That puts you in the mid 50s range, so a little while to go before you get your OAP!

12. The L25A2 RCKs never came with a firing device and they no longer contain an igniferous method of initiation. Nor should it be fired with BIRIS. BIRIS is for the sequential initiation of BATSIMS only.

13. You are quite correct in that BIRIS should not be used for initiating an RCK, BATSIM's and other EOD operations only, but give a Sapper a toy to play with and play he will!

I don't think Ugly was talking about the L25A2, but maybe a very earlier version of it, late 70s early 80s!

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That's a whole new pile of acronyms I haven't learnt. So what was the little dynamo from? We used it on local batsim isfe in T bangs etc!
    Oh and not quite just PTG, fecking hell I feel old on here

15. Is this the thing you are after? :)

images.jpg