Can anyone recommend a good replacement medal service

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Interesting - last time I had my medals mounted the medalist contacted me to advise that the FRY clasp was also broken, and would I want it replaced? Presumably a production floor is these NATO gongs.

The problem is, the brackets on the NATO clasps are so deep you can fit about 5 layers of ribbon through them, so "professional" tailors simply squash them flat to avoid the bracket protruding too much at the front.

This puts strain on the corner joints and they eventually snap.

At £5 each (plus £1.50 p&p) from the cheapest vendor, it can get pretty expensive. The best thing to do is remove the bracket completely, file down the corner bits and use invisible thread to hold the clasp in place (with a small strip of self-adhesive tape between the clasp and ribbon to prevent sideways egress).

It lays flat then too. And looks miles better.

I’m not getting in to the whole usual ARRSE conflab. I can afford to pay for mine to be done by someone else.
I have had them mounted by unit tailors and commercial medal mounters in the past, all produced an average or poor result. I settled for McKays because the finished article was the best I’ve come across.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Re: Tape vs Stitching - that sticky is mainly a guide for those wanting to do a DIY job. As they get more confident (and have the time to do it), they can use more stitching.

If you check the guide, the small dots of fabric glue are only used in the corners of the ribbon that are going to be buried under one or two layers of other ribbon / felt anyway, and it is only used to tack it down where it cannot otherwise be secured with the fabric tape or stitching.

The important thing is, wherever you do use it - make sure it's dry first before fixing another layer of ribbon / felt backing etc to avoid any chance of it seeping through. It is true what you say - glue and some forms of double sided tape will cause ribbon to discolour over time. Stitch wherever possible - it will take much longer, but as they're your own set it will be worth the finish.

Always useful when explaining what you did.

Latest Threads