Can anyone recommend a good replacement medal service

As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations on where to get a replacement medal.

I had my Op Granby medal thrown away by a vindictive ex-wife (without me knowing) and unfortunately, the MoD will only issue replacement medals if accompanied by a police report.

I thought then that I could get a duplicate medal, but there is a bewildering array of companies offering this service and wondered if anyone could recommend a good supplier.

Also, I'd like it engraved, but I can't remember what the engraving should say, I only remember my service number and name being on it, but not which way round etc.

Finally, I seem to recall I had a clasp and bar, which would've been the January - Feb one, not the August 1990 one.

Can anyone help?
I was awarded the OP SHADER OSM (without clasp) in my last tour and had the miniature set made up for my farewell dinner. The full sized one I picked up as I cleared and them promptly lost it in the move. I turned the house upside down for it and, as others pointed out, the MOD won't replace it unless I can prove it was stolen. It's going to cost me about £150 to buy a new medal, get my details milled on the rim and then mount it. At least I am not having to get three tunics ribboned up. I.moghht get it done for Remembrance Day.

Don't get one of the bright plated copies. They look gash. Your best bet is something like the the below.

I was awarded the OP SHADER OSM (without clasp) in my last tour and had the miniature set made up for my farewell dinner. The full sized one I picked up as I cleared and them promptly lost it in the move. I turned the house upside down for it and, as others pointed out, the MOD won't replace it unless I can prove it was stolen. It's going to cost me about £150 to buy a new medal, get my details milled on the rim and then mount it. At least I am not having to get three tunics ribboned up. I.moghht get it done for Remembrance Day.
Is that £150 via the Medal Office? I thought they'd replace it for free if stolen, otherwise you'd be billed for a re-issue if still serving. Definitely get it through official channels if you can. Do not cough up £150 for a named up copy.

Are you sure about that ?
I rather think your right to question this. You can go to back to MOD and get replacement ones at a price. They have an R on the obverse (think thats the word).
If they tell you to do one then get a copy you could do ebay one on sale for £19

Is that £150 via the Medal Office? I thought they'd replace it for free if stolen, otherwise you'd be billed for a re-issue if still serving. Definitely get it through official channels if you can. Do not cough up £150 for a named up copy.
I've lost it, not stolen, sadly The cost of the medal, milling my service details and then remounting (court mounted) it alongside 8 other medal...all up about £150

That's a bloody shame, because a 9 medal group with a Shader OSM would be a valuable asset.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Pikeys stole my medals (and a whole load of other stuff, including my sword), 3 weeks before I left the Army back in 2015.

I’d been at a firepower demo and returned to find that they’d broken into my place and ransacked it.

MOD ponied up (at a cost to me) to replace the ones that weren’t foreign awards and interestingly the Australians moved a lot faster despite being on the other side of the world. Unfortunately the replacements have (R) engraved on them to differentiate them from the originals.

My eldest (God bless him) found one online on eBay within a week or two and it was recovered but no sign of anything else since.

I still search regularly but probably at the bottom of a canal now.

Anyway - Worcester Medal Services in Bromsgrove - excellent service, high quality and very quick. Even provided a nice box with my name and cap badges on the front.

Pikeys stole my medals (and a whole load of other stuff, including my sword), 3 weeks before I left the Army back in 2015.

I’d been at a firepower demo and returned to find that they’d broken into my place and ransacked it.

MOD ponied up (at a cost to me) to replace the ones that weren’t foreign awards and interestingly the Australians moved a lot faster despite being on the other side of the world. Unfortunately the replacements have (R) engraved on them to differentiate them from the originals.

My eldest (God bless him) found one online on eBay within a week or two and it was recovered but no sign of anything else since.

I still search regularly but probably at the bottom of a canal now.

Anyway - Worcester Medal Services in Bromsgrove - excellent service, high quality and very quick. Even provided a nice box with my name and cap badges on the front.
So had the medal set been broken up? Was one of your medals a bit special? A bitch about the sword, too. Did the Police show any interest?

D

Deleted 4482

This issue of ex binning the medals could be reported to police as a domestic. A log would be created..and likely closed straight away given the circumstances but - it would at least generate a log number to satisfy the MOD.

"My ex wife / partner has just informed me my campaign medals, which she had had hers, have now been binned or sold and it is causing me some distress- due to the circumstances that caused me to be awarded them".

Chances are she has not binned them at all.
She'll be periodically looking on ebay to see what price they get.

Edit: apart from the domestic aspect this is heavilly verging into "civil law" territory.

I'm not really qualified to offer further advice.

Perhaps a serving officer could? @devexwarrior @wetsmonkey

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
So had the medal set been broken up? Was one of your medals a bit special? A bitch about the sword, too. Did the Police show any interest?
The police were round as soon as I reported it and were as good as other priorities would allow them to be. Searched the house and sent a forensic team in the next day, took my prints and dusted the place, which took a while. The pikeys had tried to take my MGB but couldn’t start it (God bless British sports cars) so just concentrated on my military stuff - left all the electronics etc but weirdly, took my mountain bike.

They also stole my sword, which my parents bought and had engraved for me on commissioning all those years ago, and that was the actually the most irreplaceable thing.

All in all it was the perfect send off after 38 years in the mob.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
To your original question - no, it was an individual foreign award, so separate in a case.

The police were round as soon as I reported it and were as good as other priorities would allow them to be. Searched the house and sent a forensic team in the next day, took my prints and dusted the place, which took a while. The pikeys had tried to take my MGB but couldn’t start it (God bless British sports cars) so just concentrated on my military stuff - left all the electronics etc but weirdly, took my mountain bike.

They also stole my sword, which my parents bought and had engraved for me on commissioning all those years ago, and that was the actually the most irreplaceable thing.

All in all it was the perfect send off after 38 years in the mob.
I'd be gutted, too if I lost my medals and my sword.

I'm just missing my OP Shader OSM. Turned the house upside down...to no avail. And tge replacement, like yours, will have the dreaded Gongpolitzei 'R' on it too.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

I'm just missing my OP Shader OSM. Turned the house upside down...to no avail. And yfecreplacement, like tours, will have the dreaded Gongpolitzei 'R' on it too.
Haha! ‘GongPoltzei’. ….I’m taking that.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

I'm just missing my OP Shader OSM. Turned the house upside down...to no avail. And tge replacement, like yours, will have the dreaded Gongpolitzei 'R' on it too.
Point of order - I didn’t ‘lose’ any of it. It was stolen by people whose motivations I can’t even begin to understand.

The R is not that dreaded. Slightly less desirable to collectors, but if officially issued - and accompanied with others - it's not too much of a detraction.

D

Deleted 15653

This issue of ex binning the medals could be reported to police as a domestic. A log would be created..and likely closed straight away given the circumstances but - it would at least generate a log number to satisfy the MOD.

"My ex wife / partner has just informed me my campaign medals, which she had had hers, have now been binned or sold and it is causing me some distress- due to the circumstances that caused me to be awarded them".

Chances are she has not binned them at all.
She'll be periodically looking on ebay to see what price they get.

Edit: apart from the domestic aspect this is heavilly verging into "civil law" territory.

I'm not really qualified to offer further advice.

Perhaps a serving officer could? @devexwarrior @wetsmonkey
I would suggest that the ex has 'dishonestly appropriated property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving them of it' which is the definition of theft.

Latest Threads