Can anyone identify this

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by geolabuk, Sep 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was found at a boot fair, it was tarnished so badly it was black.

The acorn and leaves are solid rose gold and the back is solid yellow gold.

The acorn and leaves are 22mm x 22mm.

It looks as if it should have pinned to a collar or pocket tab.

Anyone got a clue?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Something to do with the Cheshire's may be! :?

3. Could it belong to a top-hinged cabinet door or chest? Nailed or screwed from the back through the two holes. Open the door by pulling on the ring. Will it slide over a 1/2" thick piece of wood?

Gold? or brass?

4. don't or rather didn't the Snots (SNH) have a badge like that?

5. South Nottinghamshire Hussars Yeomanry ?

6. msr

msr LE

Similar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Like I said, the Snots! Looks like they are not in the frame this time though, thanks msr!

8. On another forum it has been suggested that it is a picture hanger for a small frame. It would fit over a quarter inch frame and the two holes would be for small panel pins.

Yes it is 9ct rose gold on 9ct yellow gold (I have an electronic tester), those bloody landed gentry of the 1800s even hung their pictures with gold hangers it seems.

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. Could it be the belt attachment for an officers cartouche belt. Some of the ones I have handled have wooden frames inside due to the intricate gold work that is attached.
    All the pictures I have handled(for landed gentry) were hung with brass. The gold would be too soft.

10. Bull**** cavalry harness perhaps?

11. Nope. Can't be a picture hanger. Gravity is the other way round (the acorn would be upside down).

I'm still inclined to go with the top-hinged cabinet door. The design of it means that the bottom of the door has to sail past the shelf behind. It may belong to one of the interior compartments of a writing bureau.

To estimate the thickness of the wood that it belongs to, measure across the outside of the "U" - it must be inlaid. If it's 1/2", then it's probably off a cabinet door. If it's 1/4" or 3/8", then it's more likely to be from an interior compartment.

edited to add:

Also think in terms of stationery boxes and humidors - small boxes that don't move much and don't need a locking lid.

12. I have just realised what a prattish and ridiculous suggestion I made on my post of Sep 17th! I've just noticed the 22mm X 22mm measurement!
    Bloody small horse! Sorry! It looks like a bit of a 'sweetheart brooch' mackled up to something else, no idea! :oops:

13. Yep,I´d go with the sweet heart badge that´s been mis-used/abused as well!

Maybe it was used as a draw string for a windows blind in a study?

14. I may well be way off base here, but might I suggest some sort of Canadian connection?

The Thistle (symbol of Scotland) seems to take the form of a stylized Maple Leaf (long the symbol of Canada, well before 1965 when we changed our flag). Much of Canada was settled by Scottish pioneers, hence, this could explain why this item seems to have the stylized outline of a Maple Leaf.

If this is the case, it could perhaps be a lady's brooch of the type from which a lady's watch would have been suspended, circa 1930's. Also, it could be some piece of ceremonial or mess dress accoutrement. For example, it could perhaps form part of the fastening device for a pistol holster (just a guess) for patrol dress - or possibly a fastening device for a sporran?

Anyway, the possible Canadian connection is just a thought. Certainly, I've no proof.

15. Oak leaves to the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross?

Or am I just obsessed with Nazis? :oops: