Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone identify this Sten submachine gun?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Did he buy it from Lillywhite's? They made a chuffing fortune flogging mail order Webley revolvers to well-heeled young chaps in the trenches during Round One, and that looks like their kind of upmarket packaging

Nope. The site I linked as source says the weapon was presented to his Late Majesty , KGVI in his capacity as an officer in that new-fangled Home Guard.

I doubt WSC ordered the Thompson he was pictured with via the Sears catalogue either.

And as to packaging for a bit of good ol' PR - I take it you never saw the gold plated SMG on the Royal Ordnance stand at the British Army Equipment Exhibition in the late 80s either ?

I believe they sold a few to the usual blinged-up Middle Eastern crew.

Nope. The site I linked as source says the weapon was presented to his Late Majesty , KGVI in his capacity as an officer in that new-fangled Home Guard.

I doubt WSC ordered the Thompson he was pictured with via the Sears catalogue either.

And as to packaging for a bit of good ol' PR - I take it you never saw the gold plated SMG on the Royal Ordnance stand at the British Army Equipment Exhibition in the late 80s either ?

I believe they sold a few to the usual blinged-up Middle Eastern crew.

That's a jolly nice suit and titfer, but his shoes are in shit order :)

ETA: Is that Clint Eastwood as Lt Kelly above the rear sight?

That's a jolly nice suit and titfer, but his shoes are in shit order :)

ETA: Is that Clint Eastwood as Lt Kelly above the rear sight?
This was during a visit to US 2nd Armored Division prior to Normandy. there is a series showing him and Ike, Bradley firing carbines and looking over demonstrations

By the way a close look shows the Horizontal foregrip modified with a vertical grip added (also done in some units with the BAR)

Are you in Australia?
Yes.

Probably the best firearms museum I can think off is the Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum. Haven't been there in a while, but I don't believe they have a Austen Mk1 there.

I do want to head back up there at some stage. It's a three hour drive normally, should be less thanks to COVID.

Come to think of it, I'm in communication with one of the volunteers there. I might email her and ask.

EDIT: Just got this back from the museum volunteer.

"We've got both (MkI and MkII) on display in the Museum :)

Sorry to lose your argument for you :) The Mk1 is fairly common, the Mk 2 less so - off the cuff, don't think they ever went ahead with them (but could be wrong)."

You were right and I was wrong. Need to open my eye's more next time I am up there.

Last edited:
###
This was during a visit to US 2nd Armored Division prior to Normandy. there is a series showing him and Ike, Bradley firing carbines and looking over demonstrations

By the way a close look shows the Horizontal foregrip modified with a vertical grip added (also done in some units with the BAR)
Bradley is in that post #21 image, face half hidden, wearing the dark coloured garrison cap with piping.
Is Churchill's gun an M1928 with the A1 forestock fitted, or a M1928A1 with a 1928 front grip retained ?

Background looks very much like Warminster

' ....Among a haul by Tasmanian police '

@stoatman - it always throws me ten left when an Austen is pictured with a standard Sten side magazine mounting...but looking at the video it seems the Aussies tried all sorts of configurations.

@Ian525 - good guess.

The video posted by @Goldbricker says that the Aussies had a single MP38 ( confiscated by Sydney Customs & Excise !) which they copied chunks off - the grips, folding stock and telescopic spring.

The video makes plain that what the Aussies did was to make the simple cheap nasty Sten overly complicated and expensive.

Little wonder they ditched it in favour of the Owen smg.

There's a whole thread on the development of the Sten somewhere.

I liked this example : View attachment 505020

.....as lugged about everywhere by Lillibet's Dad for the early part of the war.....

Historical Firearms - George VI’s STEN This STEN MkII was, according...

( and if he had ever had to use it, then the scheisse was in the AC bigtime....)
In the Osprey book about the Sten, is is noted that HM had a range built in the gardens of Buckingham Palace, to allow him to practice with his Sten.

###

Bradley is in that post #21 image, face half hidden, wearing the dark coloured garrison cap with piping.
Is Churchill's gun an M1928 with the A1 forestock fitted, or a M1928A1 with a 1928 front grip retained ?

Background looks very much like Warminster
The cocking handle on top and Cutts Compensator would suggest (to me) an M1928 with modified foregrip

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
In the Osprey book about the Sten, is is noted that HM had a range built in the gardens of Buckingham Palace, to allow him to practice with his Sten.
And his wife Liz Senior used to take potshots at rats with a .22" rifle whilst at Windsor, "to practice killing Huns".

Bloody marvellous.

' ....Among a haul by Tasmanian police '

@stoatman - it always throws me ten left when an Austen is pictured with a standard Sten side magazine mounting...but looking at the video it seems the Aussies tried all sorts of configurations.

@Ian525 - good guess.

The video posted by @Goldbricker says that the Aussies had a single MP38 ( confiscated by Sydney Customs & Excise !) which they copied chunks off - the grips, folding stock and telescopic spring.

The video makes plain that what the Aussies did was to make the simple cheap nasty Sten overly complicated and expensive.

Little wonder they ditched it in favour of the Owen smg.

There's a whole thread on the development of the Sten somewhere.

I liked this example : View attachment 505020

.....as lugged about everywhere by Lillibet's Dad for the early part of the war.....

Historical Firearms - George VI’s STEN This STEN MkII was, according...

( and if he had ever had to use it, then the scheisse was in the AC bigtime....)

I remember seeing this example at either the NAM or IWM. Another of the long list of projects to do when time and funds permit is to fabricate and similarly furnish a case with a MkII etc.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Last edited: