Can anyone identify this regiment?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by chrisg46, Oct 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

My wife has asked me to post this; she is trying to find out more about her fathers family, and has got back to around ww1 days, and is trying to identify the fellow in the picture below. It was probably taken prior to 1914.

Does anyone recognise the regiment details here? Can you let us know the modern day descendants of the regiment.

Attached Files:

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Tartan looks very Gordonesque, but the wee furry purse doesnt.

3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Have emailed the museum of the Gordons and will join that forum in a sec.

Royal Polish Fusiliers? Wah?

4. You sure it's Scottish?
    The sporran and belt look like WW1 Seaforth Highlanders of Canada and the tartan could be Mckenzie.
    Cheers
    Scratch

5. I would assume that someone who is clued up on Scottish regimenmts could identify the regiment by the sporran as I was under the impression that each regiment had a different pattern sporran.

6. It could well be the Seaforths (even the proper Scottish ones), but I don't think the cap badge looks right.

From the cap badge I thought of the HLI, but they weren't kilted. What about the Glasgow Highlanders battalion of the HLI?

T_T

7. CMX - I tried that one but photos and drawings from the BYDAND site showed different sporrant types with different types of tassles. IIRC some of the Terrier Regiments had different types of spottans from the parent Bn.

OMG its Saturday and I need to get out :oops:

8. Looks like the lovat scouts sporran and Forbes tartan.

9. Forbes tartan was the tartan used by the lovat scouts. calm down

10. I think it's a Canadian regiment (though not the Seaforth, as was earlier suggested or the Lovat Scouts who I believe did not wear the kilt in WW1).
    Could be the HLI of Canada.

11. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

The belt he is wearing is P14, judging by the width. Therefore he would be Scottish (not Canadian) possibly a Territorial and the picture taken late 1914 more than likely 1915. I think the cutaway style of service dress tunic may date the picture too but i'm not that clued up on my Scottish stuff.

12. Liverpool Scottish, seriously!

13. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator