Can anyone identify this cypher?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RCSignals, Jan 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. on the hilt. Inf pattern sword. Odd crown?

[​IMG]

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

No, it looks foriegn to me - could it be from a protectorate that had its own monarch? Who made it?

3. Try the National Army Museum - they have a display of swords

4. made by Wilkinson

5. BuggerAll

Wilkinson's have a historical section - if you cross their palms with silver they will dig out the records for your sword from its serial number. I expect they would tell you what the Cypher is for nought.

I have a WW1 Wilkinsons. I've worn it on Parade/weddings etc. I wasn't going to on account of its not being a QE2, but the Swords that were being lent/issued where all sorts anyway, so now I feel I might as well carry my own.

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Looks a bit Swedish or even Dutch to me! But then again what do I know!

7. I'll check with Wilkinson

If I were you i'd just use that sword.
    I remember being issued a "loaner" and it was an E VII ! (should have tried to keep it :lol: )
    As long as it's the correct pattern sword I don't think anyone cares or will even notice.

8. Just had a shufti in my copy of Kipling and King's tome (anorak on), the crown looks to be victorian(which to look at is very similar to the Dutch and Swedish style crowns)could the cypher possibly be VR ?

9. Think so. Queen's Crowns are more 'curvey' than King's, as that one seems to be, altho not v pronounced.

Unfortunately, despite the age of some of my own kit :wink: I have not been able to find anything similar in the house. Agree with sknn about propriety of carrying 'old' swords, inherited etc. (Some Adjts might disagree!) After all, guns werent re-ciphered after the King's death in 1952.

Also guessing that the cipher here is VRI (Victoria Regina Imperatrix). Have tried reading "GR" into it but couldnt errr decipher it that way, plus I cant make out any numeral.

10. Heres a drawing of the 20th hussars victorian badge I think the crown and cypher are very similar to the ones on the sword.
    [​IMG]

11. RCSignals

Going back to my VRI theory, which is all it is, any chance that sword could be Canadian (Imperial) albeit made by Wilkinsons?

12. It's possible it's a Canadian sword. Canada used/uses the same pattern swords as Britain though, so unless a sword is specifially etced with a Canadian Corps or Regiment insignia it's not always apparent.

Hopefully, Wilkinsons will know. With my luck, it'll be the one sword not in their record :lol:

13. Thankyou for that. It does look very similar

14. BuggerAll

Sorry - this is going to be a real anorak question: In the photo you supplied with this thread you can just see the top of the scabbard: Is it a silver scabbard or is it a leather covered one with a silver top?

If so can you photo the whole thing as I've never seen one like it.

15. hopefully this helps

It's a leather covered scabbard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]