Can anyone identify this cap badge?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Britishhawk, May 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been looking for a while but no luck, relative of mine. Any help appreciated! (he was Scottish if that helps)

2. Edited. Mind changed - yup, Reconnaissance Corps. Cross-checked it with a book by CE Audax which raised money for the UDR Benevolent Fund.

I thought a full colour version was due out by now but can't find it. "Badge Backings & Special Embellishments of the British Army". The original edition is very good.
  3. This any clearer?

4. Could well be this one.

Attached Files:

5. ImageUploadedByARRSE1337517468.209697.jpg

Is this one?

(beaten to it!)
  6. Thanks for your information guys. From what I understand he was rescued at Dunkirk & died shortly after from injuries sustained. The Reconnaissance Corp was founded in '41, so after his time.. The plot thickens..
  7. I'm trying to find a book I have about one of the early recce regiments. It might have some useful dates in it. An officer by the name of E.E. Mocatta (originally 4th/47th RDG) was posted to them from 22nd Dragoons.
  8. Can you enhance the picture to get some more detail of the greatcoat buttons? The lower LH one (his RHS) looks as though it might be readable.
  9. It looks like a five-pointed star.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You could just ask the CWG for his grave details or Kew for his service records!
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

12. If you don't mind me asking, how do you know he died shortly after Dunkirk? Family legends are notoriously inaccurate, sad to say (as I found when reserching my own family's military service). I'm also absolutely certain that it's a Recce Corps cap badge, so something doesn't ring true. As has been suggested, run his name through the CWGC website search. That should give you an accurate date of death and regiment/corps/service. Let us know what you turn up.
    • Like Like x 1