Can anyone identify these please?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by commzmeanzbombz, Jan 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

I have in my posession a couple of Bayonets left to me by my late Grandfather, I know one is British and one is German but thats all I know.

The first one is dated 1907 and has a crown below the handle it has 31 next to the crown, it also has 18 stamped below the date. Im afraid the pictures dont show the detail very well! The scabbard doesnt have any dates on it.

Can anyone shed any light on it for me? I will add the next one in a minute.

Cheers in advance,

Attached Files:

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats a Pattern 1907 for the Rifle No1 or SMLE
  3. This is the second one which im sure is German but Im not sure, the Bayonet itself doesnt have any dates but it has a symbol which looks like 2 squirrels sitting back to back, strange I know but thats the best way for me to describe it!!!
    The scabbard has 3 interlocking circles stamped in the leather with 1937 below it.

Once again sorry about the rubbish pictures,

Thanks again,

Attached Files:

4. Cheers ugly, ive tried googling it now, do you reckon its the British version? There seem to be loads of different types!
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I think it might be a Seitengewehr 98 pattern bayonet.
  6. ..............particularly a sawback bayonet, usually associated with Infantry Pioneers. Unusually, it looks almost complete in that it still has its troddel - that's the dangly, strappy thing - the colours of which (knot, strap, etc) should tell you his rank, Bn, Coy and Pln. A nice thing indeed.
  7. Cheers Fellas, They are both immaculate and you have certainly given me something to go on, Time to do a spot of googling!

Thanks again,

8. Yes, its British. The maker will be Sanderson, Wilkinson or - if you are lucky - Vickers. Its a pattern 1907, but possibly made in 1918, and then refurbished in 1931. An "x" shaped mark is the "bend test" applied to new bayonets. If you post some clearer photos of both sides of the blade, we may be able to give you some more information...
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was hoping 4T would see this, I dont have much on bayonets apart from Skennertons books and good as they are Bayonets tend to get back seat understandably.
  10. Whilst we are on the subject, I have a 1907 pattern bayonet that sadly has some rust, any suggestions on the gentlest way of removing the rust without causing more damage?
  11. The geman one sounds like Solingen Eickhorn K98 dress bayonet.
  12. Usually wire wool and 3-in-1 oil, if the rust is not too deep. 1907 were originally bright steel, but then were generally grey parkerised during refurbishment in the 1930s, or even blued in Australian and Indian service. Hence if you need to get aggressive with the rust, you can use various gun refinishing products to hide the damage!
  13. Cheers 4T, I'll give it a whirl and see how it comes out
  14. its a dress bayonet, m98 and was 40cm long blade for enlisted men and 35cm long blade for ncos. the frog is black and so prob army (luftwaffe had brown leather apparently)

squirrels is def eickhorn, the 2 conjoined back to back being the original and first mark of this maker having the initials CE underneath them , another mark of these squirrels exsists without the CE initials.
  15. DO NOT sell the German one for £30 to a guy down the pub, its in v good nick, has the danglies and is serious collector stuff !!!!