Can anyone identify the navaid in this picture?

A well-known picture from the last few days. I bet the MoD is very grateful that it impartially gives the true location of the searched ship.

Of course, in an army Lynx this and the similarly vital nokia are of course banned portable electronic devices, and the only photo you would have got is of the blinking FAIL light on the totally useless TANS.

Hopefully the Ac Comd involved is getting a pat on the back for his foresight and not a slap on the wrist!

Victorian_Major said:
A well-known picture from the last few days. I bet the MoD is very grateful that it impartially gives the true location of the searched ship.

Of course, in an army Lynx this and the similarly vital nokia are of course banned portable electronic devices, and the only photo you would have got is of the blinking FAIL light on the totally useless TANS.

Hopefully the Ac Comd involved is getting a pat on the back for his foresight and not a slap on the wrist!
Well, if you fit a TomTom to a Lynx of course you'll get dodgy results. Bloody cheapskate Procurements.

Rather entertaining that of all the media coverage they've missed yet another procurement c*ck up. If this chap hadn't bought his own a) GPS and b) Camera, the government would have even less evidence to prevaricate and dither over.

Alsacien

MIA
Victorian_Major said:

I have not owned an etrex for years so I cannot remember, but:

1. Can you "playback" a location?
2. Height 91mtrs?
3. Was this photo taken in a building - with 6 sats visible....?

Those are the kind of points, none of which I think is true given the system, which I just bet the lads in Iran are just overjoyed to hear you spout on a public forum...

Edited to answer points;

1. Yes
2. So? Setting the QNH into the thing is a nightmare, but being at 300' over the oggin is pretty standard.
3. No. (Although I bet the Iranian PR chap was delighted to have you feed him that line...)

I have not owned an etrex for years so I cannot remember, but:

Dont know but it may have been saved as a waypoint
2. Height 91mtrs?
Height is variable with sat nav with only 6 sattelites but as it is supposedly taken in a helicopter then I would have been worried if it said 5 metres
Read thread.. taken in helo not many buildings at sea you know. surprised he got 6 sats with all that sheilding (rotor&c) by the way the lynx referred to earlier was the helicopter not the cat.

Alsacien

MIA
maninblue said:
Alsacien said:
2. Height 91mtrs?
1. Don't know never used one.
2. & 3. The photo was taken in the back of CORWALL's Lynx flying over the vessel the Boardin Party had been on.
Ah, I see. This is not the photo of the Iranian holding the GPS....my mistake.

Well all our discussion of the GPS and the numerous hits on Google Earth seem to have done the trick!

Let's face it, the Iranians weren't going to take any notice of any information from British Government or MOD let alone ARRSE!

They planned it carefully, executed it with precision and ran the whole media circus from start to finish including the "Presidential Pardon" :roll:

At least they're being released.

The 'special' windcreen canopy of Lynx (note to thieving Westlands - not £2bn 'special.') tends to suppress GPS signals, explaining the low signal strength. If you hold, say, a Pilot III by the door window the signal is stronger.

And, whilst it is not obvious in the photo - the original (uncropped) photo is taken from the front LHS.

Victorian_Major said:
The 'special' windcreen canopy of Lynx (note to thieving Westlands - not £2bn 'special.') tends to suppress GPS signals, explaining the low signal strength. If you hold, say, a Pilot III by the door window the signal is stronger.

And, whilst it is not obvious in the photo - the original (uncropped) photo is taken from the front LHS.
This is a better photo than the one I saw - clearly the photo is taken from the cabin - not the front. My bad.

So which one of you guys are pilots then?

Victorian Major sounds like he knows his stuff, are you Lx pilot by any chance?

Are civvy GPS now allowed, we keep getting warned about them, ie potential errors, jamming etc?

Who of you ahve used a civvy GPS and found it OK in the air?

Years back, we used to fly all over the world, Canada, Norway, Malaysia , Borneo, Kenya etc with an issue Trimble hand held, rubber banded to the GOA control handle. No external aerial and they worked a treat.

Then late 90's they were replaced with a Garmin Pilot III.
My Garmin 89 served me well, again throughout the world and rubber banded to the handle.

"GPS not to be used as prime Navigational Aid" :roll:

I think it saved a lot of embarrassment through places like the Manchester LL corridor, Germany - UK route and gave so much confidence when leaving Denmark heading North for Norway and routing South in Malaysia over the vast jungle in order to get fuel to be able to transit back North to base.

Better to trust a GPS and a map than whizz wheel and a PROB30 met forcast of the winds!

Professor Bradford Parkinson and Dr Ivan Getting, I salute you.

I couldn't fault the Pilot III - great bit of kit. Pocketable, could easily be crocodile clipped to the coaming above the AI and the batteries lasted for yonks. The big surprise was the memory - ours had better maps in them for Bosnia than for the UK (with no extra mapping squirted into them).

The big fag was pretending that we were happy with TANS which is about as accurate as a drunk bloke in a pub giving directions - crap most of the time yet frighteningly accurate on the most surprising occasions.

RNS 252 was great and so was CDNU (which was barely in our cabs for 5 minutes before it was yanked out again). But to launch an op sortie without GPS and trust a 30 year-old inertial system was madness. What really irked me was the fact that we kept on telling Standards that that is precisely what we were doing.

Great quotes from the 2i/c of JHC, AAC grown up on a visit to an AAC unit on Ops. Just asked the standard "Any problems chaps?" VIP visitor question.

The reply, "Well actually yes, sir. We have no IF capability so inadvertant IMC is extremely dangerous to say the least, especially given the rather large mountains. The only internal aids let down we can do invloves a doppler based system that more than likely will slam us into a hillside somewhere, whic no-one will no about as we have no comms 20nm from base." :x

His reply?

"Well in my day we did it with a map and compass, and you should be avoiding inadvertant IMC anyway." :roll:

And the top brass wonder why the other services laugh at us.....

Junglynx said:
"...and you should be avoiding inadvertant IMC anyway."
I actually made a note of this golden piece of advice as I felt that I was in danger of forgetting it, but also as proof that the days of effort gone into organising such visits are never wasted.

It was a few weeks later that Reid and his idiot wife also came out on a visit. The reception party consisted of one very shiny Swiss Cougar, a Romanian Socat for baggage and a Lynx because someone thought that a Brit aircraft should be involved. True to form the Westlands workhorse dumps copious amounts of oil on the pan and then sits there luke a sulky schoolgirl, debating whether or not she'll misbehave when asked to go home. Some sharp flunky gets Reid and walks him over to the Lynx. looking somewhat nervous, Tony's attack dog asks why he must travel in the most dilapidated looking cab on the pan when there is a bigger shiny Cougar full of Swiss blokes handing out chocolate. It is gently pointed out to the minister that the aircraft is British and he might wish to be seen clambering out of it as opposed to another aircraft. Reid bravely travels in the Cougar and has some chocolate. :salut: